- Forums - Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -
www.mast-victims.org forum / General discussion / Mast across street making me sick
. 1 . 2 . 3 . >>
Cinda
# Posted: 4 Nov 2007 22:09

I live directly across the street from a large mast here in the U.S. and it has been making me and my dogs very sick. I recently used the Y-Shield paint in my bedroom and felt much better. Rather than paint every ceiling in the entire house, I had someone lay aluminum foil on my attic floor. It isn't grounded yet and I now feel terrible again. Like I'm in the presence of Wi-fi. Very powerful. Do you think that grounding (earthing) the foil will help? Is the foil re-radiating the microwaves from the mast and making them more powerful? How do I establish adequate grounding?
Thank you.
Cinda, USA

Henrik
Admin
# Posted: 4 Nov 2007 22:11

Dear Cinda,

When shielding it's important to get a good ground connection to your shielding surface.
I've used YShield paint to shield my appartment, in Copenhagen Denmark, and I've gotten a decent ground connection through the waterpipe system.
The optimal way of getting a ground connection is to ram a half-meter length of copper pipe into the ground and connect a wire from that to your
sheilding surface.
I have to use the waterpipe solution since I live in the fourth floor, but it works OK.
I have no personal experience with aluminium foil screening but I know it's
important to ground the foil surface to short out any re-radiating of EMF
and make sure that the all the foil is conducting as a single surface.
Check that foil joints are folded and secured with tape.
Anything conducting that is not grounded can act as an antenna, not
nessesarily amplifying the EMF but propagating it over a large area.

YShield sells special grounding kits for attaching to shielded walls.
Did you know that you can buy paint and accessories directly from YShield
in Germany? I'm guessing you got it from a reseller in th US but try and have a talk with Bernhard Liebl from YShield to see if he can give you a
good deal.

See the screening tips in the "Basic advice" section of this page:
http://www.hese-project.org/hese-uk/en/niemr/health.php?content_type=R&list=protectio n

Best regards
Henrik

Cinda
# Posted: 4 Nov 2007 22:14

Hello Henrik,
Thank you for the advice on grounding the aluminum foil I installed in my attic. I am working on getting it right. But, I have another short question, if you don't mind. I just read an article about EMF Dangers that said there is no real way to block out EMF. The article said if you could still get a cell phone signal inside your house, you had EMF coming through. I live 369 feet from the cell tower that powers my cell phone (which I only use in emergencies). I just tried it in my house and bedroom where I've used the Y-Shield paint, etc. and I get a full strength cell phone signal even with all the measures I have taken to protect the house. You would think it would at least be a little weaker, but it was full strength except in the basement.
Does that mean I'm not protected at all? That I did all this for nothing?
Thanks for the advice.

Cinda

Henrik
Admin
# Posted: 4 Nov 2007 22:16

Hi Cinda,

No I don't think you have done it all for nothing. This can be a complex
and confusing field of knowledge so I'll explain:

US EMF guidelines are set at a maximum of 61 V/m (that's Volts per metre
but lets call it "units" for simplicity). This "guideline" is ridiculously high as you have painfully discovered and offers only protection against thermal heating adverse effects since heating is the only such adverse effect that the FCC will acknowledge.
Cell phones need only 0.00003 units to work so don't be surprized if your phone picks up signal despite your efforts to screen it out.
The EMF from a nearby cell-tower will typically be somewhere between 2-10 units. In rural areas with fewer towers they might turn it up a notch.

The goal of screening out EMF is to reduce the intensity to below the threshold where you feel ill. Every person has a different threshold depending on their level of electro-hypersensitivity.
I have a professional EMF meter that shows that I get around 0.02 units inside my apartment and I've painted all walls and ceilings with Y-Shield paint. Outside, the EMF from cell-towers is around 10 units which is much worse than ground level since I live on the fourth floor and the cell-tower beam hits my apartment straight on.

Once you have reduced the EMF in your living quarters you can take steps
to protect your body from damage with anti-oxidant supplements like melatonin and gingko-biloba. Get a copy of Dr. Gerald Goldberg's
excellent book "Would you put your head in a microwave oven?"
http://www.authorhouse.com/BookStore/ItemDetail~bookid~36093.aspx
This book is a quick and easy read where Dr. Goldberg explains the mechanisms of harms from EMF and lists supplements to take in order to
protect your body. You can listen to interviews with Dr. Goldberg in mast-victims resources section here:
http://www.mast-victims.org/index.php?content=resources#audio

I hope this answers your questions and don't hesitate to ask.
If I don't know the answer then I'll find an expert or a scientist
within our network that can.

Best regards
Henrik

Cinda
# Posted: 4 Nov 2007 22:18

Hi Henrik,

Thanks for your previous emails which have helped me in my efforts to secure my home from the cell tower directly across the street. I finally had someone remove all the aluminum foil from my attic. I talked with someone at http://www.lessefm.com and another scientist from http://www.earthcalm.com both of whom told me that aluminum won't screen out the harmful radiation. It is useless. Jean Gallick from Earthcalm feels she has found another material which provides excellent screening and is very inexpensive. It's a type of cushion used under wood flooring here in the U.S. I may try it later.

However, right now I have another urgent problem concerning Wi-fi and I can't find much information online about how Wi-fi works. I was hoping you might have some knowledge about it. My daughter and I have a small gift shop at a nearby indoor Amish Flea Market. The market (http://www.amishfleamarket.com) consists of about 500 vendors and is only open 3 days per week. I only work on Saturdays. About a month ago, they installed Wi-fi and I have been so sick when I come home on Saturday evenings, that it takes me 3-4 days to recover. It's getting so bad that I'm frightened. Twice, now, my throat has swollen almost shut and I can't breathe. My skin starts burning all over and I feel like I'm on fire. Not to mention massive headaches and dizziness. I'd close the shop, but it's my daughter's only source of income right now and I need the extra income, too. My question, Henrik, is this......does the Wi-fi antenna attract radiation just INSIDE THE BUILDINGS or does it focus radiation on the outside as well? If you look at the aerial photo of the building complex on their website, you will see a courtyard upstairs on the inside. I have a door to the courtyard right outside my shop. If need be, I could spend more time outside to get some relief, but I don't know that the exterior is necessarily any safer than inside. This technology is very complicated and I don't fully understand it. I have to work 8 more Saturdays until Christmas when the market will close for 3 months during the Winter. Then my daughter and I will close the business. I'm just trying to figure out how to best handle the 8 more Saturdays. I honestly feel the Wi-fi is life-threatening. At least in my case. I've never been so scared as last Saturday night and I dread going there again. Any advice will be, as usual, greatly appreciated. You explain things better than anyone I've ever talked with about this subject. Thanks again.

Cinda

Henrik
Admin
# Posted: 4 Nov 2007 22:19

Hi Cinda,

I looked at the pictures on the fleamarket site and judging from these pictures: http://www.amishfleamarket.com/new_addition.html
the place looks like a large metal box. This can shield the outside from much of the wi-fi radiation, given the transmitter is inside aswell, but inside it will likely reflect off the walls.
Do you know if the whole place has wi-fi coverage? My guess is that there's a designated space for wi-fi (usually a cafe or a dining area) then you might be able to relocate your shop to a spot with less radiation. Are there places within the market where you feel less affected? If the place is all covered with wi-fi, from either one big transmitter or many small ones, then you should try going outside.

Wi-fi transmitters (also called "routers" or "access points") are similar to cellphone towers in the type of signal they emit: a pulsing signal carrying digital information.
Usually the power from a household wi-fi transmitter is about 6 units (units as mentioned in my previous mail) and, by factory setting, it announces itself by continuously transmitting a "beacon" pulse at ten times per. second. This beacon pulse is so that laptop computers can detect the presence of the wi-fi network. The technical term for this "beacon" is "SSID broadcasting".
Wi-fi transmitters do have another "mode" where they silently listen for laptop computers within range. In this "silent" mode, it's up to the computers to announce themselves and initiate a connection. The difference between the two modes from a laptop users point of view is that if the wi-fi transmitter sends it's beacon then the laptop can "magically" connect to the network without any further knowledge. In the "silent" mode, laptop users have to know the "name" of the network (the so-called SSID) to access it, so less constant radiation but more unconvenient for the occasional users.
It might be worth a try to get others together and lobby the market management to change the wi-fi transmitter to silent mode in exchange for keeping your business there.

There is a guide online about turning off the wi-fi beacon (disabling the "SSID broadcast") that you can show the tech-people here:
http://usatoday.jiwire.com/wi-fi-security-home-networks-1.htm
(see part: "3. Disable SSID broadcast")

Thanks for the info about the foil. I have no experience with using foil for shielding but as you write, it would be a waste of effort.
The reason I thought foil would work is because I once saw that EMFields, a UK company selling shielding stuff, had thick aluminium foil on the list. I see now they have removed foil from their list. I guess for foil to work, you have to wrap the whole place in it and not just a single surface. YShield can work on single surfaces because it absorbs the electromagnetic fields hitting it, instead of trying to reflect them.

Sounds interesting with that floor material. Please keep me posted if you learn more about it.

You are absolutely not alone in this. The UK press has run a lot of stories about people getting sick from wi-fi, cellphones and towers. Below are links to some:

"Phone mast signals give me headaches"
http://www.thisislocallondon.co.uk/news/topstories/display.var.1477682.0.phone_mast_s ignals_give_me_headaches.php

"I'm allergic to mobile phones"
http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/woman/real_life/article238973.ece

"Wireless technology made me sick"
http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/news/article-23375573-details/Wireless+technology+made+ me+sick/article.do

Best regards
Henrik

Jean EMFields
# Posted: 12 Nov 2007 12:45

Dear Henrik,
Good comments about screening - couldn't agree more, including the virtual impossibility of reducing it to a level where a phone won't work. Even in a screened research room that Alasdair Philips and I visited, one of the closure'fingers' was missing from the entry door and you could get a signal on a phone!
We actually have never stocked aluminium foil. We know it is very effective in screening microwaves (not magnetic fields of course, which is where the confusion may have arisen with respect to comments from LessEMF). It is freely available from supermarkets in the UK at much cheaper prices than we could sell it at, which is why we have always recommended people to buy from these shops. The catering foil is the thicker sort, which is not always available at your closest supermarket.

Henrik
Admin
# Posted: 12 Nov 2007 13:39

Hi Jean,

Actually I got the "unit" levels off of the Powerwatch site so thanks to you and Alasdair!

I thought I remembered something about aluminium foil as screening on EMFields but I'm obviously mistaken.
Maybe you can clear one thing up: can you use aluminium foil to effectively screen a single surface, like a ceiling, or do you need to create a complete Faraday cage by wrapping the whole place in foil ?
Proper grounding of the foil is imperative I recon (?)

Best regards,
Henrik

Jean EMFields
# Posted: 12 Nov 2007 16:35

Hi, Henrik,

We do discuss the use of aluminium foil for screening microwaves quite a bit as it is so effective, though we have not stocked it because it is so cheap to buy locally.

You have to be careful with respect to walls however a) because it stops building materials from 'breathing' and thus can create or add to a condensation problem, and b) if microwaves do get in to the room due to an internal house source, or from an external source through another wall, floor, ceiling etc. it can reflect off the foiled surface.

The important consideration is 'where are the microwaves coming from?' Not always as easy as it sounds with the expansion in use of cordless phones, WiFi systems, even burglar alarms and baby monitors, etc.

One way we recommend to find the source(s) with broadband monitors such as the COM, A-COM or Electrosmog Detector is the 'biscuit tin' test.
Put the instrument in a metal biscuit/sweet tin, so it is protected from microwaves from all sides apart from the opening. Use it to detect where the RF fields are coming from by pointing the open end in every direction in turn. You then can choose whether you screen in every direction where a field is detected.

If you use a product such as non-reflective paint, you will not get reflections back into the room.

Grounding the foil (or any conductive screening (including paint) is necessary where there is likely to be wiring. This includes walls, floors, and ceilings. Lofts/attics are not so critical unless you spend much time there, as foil on the floor of a loft would reflect the microwaves back out, and any electric fields would be experienced by people in the loft, not underneath the ceiling.

If you suspect you have a house wiring fault, or you want to make sure, earthing loft/attic foil may be a good idea anyway.

It is absolutely essential for walls and floors or you could mke the situation much worse.

Best wishes
Jean

agnes
# Posted: 13 Nov 2007 04:19

Dear Jean and Henrik.

When living in our old home in Worcester we tried insulating the whole of our "TV/evening room with alu-foil, metal netting, and Powerwatch window netting materials. (3G Mast 28 meters away at same level as the room)
Ferrites in the ceiling lighting.
We earthed the whole lot.

We were highly successfull with blocking against the Microwave Radiation, it dissapeared, and there was no measureable Radiation in the room at all!

However, as Jean says, it does not block all!
Non of it blocks the Magnetic fields, even if you earth it.
It does not seem to block the effect of the frequencies either, as one incident is for ever burnt in my memory. And has made me realize what a lucky escape we had.

We were watching a TV program in the room, Erik sitting in his chair, I was sitting on a high stool doing my ironing while watching.

I am a smoker and had an ashtray on my ironing board, and the, just lighted, cigaret between my fingers on the one hand, and the hot iron in the other hand.
The effects from the mast next door were really nast that night.

I have no idea or recollection of what happened next, but when I came to again I was still sitting on the stool, my iron and my cigarette had burned large marks into the carpet, which was smoldering.
I rushed out to the bathroom and got a bucket of water and threw on it.
Erik was still completely out.

When he finally came to, he had, just like me, a Mega Headache and nausea.

We go to huge expense to try and block this out of our homes and places of work, but I think they (Industry) are a lot craftier and of course richer and more powerful.
The more we try to protect ourselves, the more they turn up the "Volume" as if they do not, they have a "Black Spot" where their pollution does not travel through.

And Jean. Both me and Henrik have monitors.
We (I) have the Com Monitor and the Electro-Smog detector.
Henrik has the expensive "GigaHertz Solutions" monitor with the special directional antenna, and a Electro-smog detector.
So we are not ill equipped or badly prepared, but still we are no match for the industry.

Best regards.
Agnes

P.S. We have a new cleaner working for us at our office.

(I have put up signs on All the entrances to our building saying " Switch off your Mobile before entering" (even TNT (deliveries) and the Tax office people comply)
Our new cleaner had switched OFF her mobile before entering the building, but she has an old mobile phone with dodgy switches.
She got the fright of her life today, when Erik came and asked if her mobile was switched on.
She went to check and found It Was Turned On!

Erik was unable to work for the whole of the day, (and that is what makes our living) but our new employee was so shocked by, that he could "FEEL" that her mobile was active that she is ready to ditch the gadget.

What a crappy world.
All for Government Greed!

Concerned
# Posted: 13 Nov 2007 12:49

Have you got a carbon monoxide detector? You've got to be careful with all that screening to make sure your ventilation is sufficient. Passing out like that, and the monster headache sounds a lot like an air purity issue.

C.M.
# Posted: 12 Feb 2008 06:07

Hi folks,

I followed the advice of something I saw online and wrapped my cell phone in foil, then tried to call it. It went right to voice mail, even though it had full bars. I know this will not stop the towers from sending their beams out, but it seemed to stop the phone from being able to send its own signal out. I began wearing (heavy duty--thicker) aluminum foil concealed in a hat about a month ago, and it tends to take the edge of most cell phones. There are times when I will still be adversely affected--if one gets too close, I may get a pain or mild nausea--but the thicker foil seems to help me be a bit calmer and a bit less struck by the sidebar radiation. Am I fooling myself? It really seems to help, though it's not any kind of permanent solution. I also put some up in my room to block the affects of the tower that is too damn close by to my house. But it was impossible to cover every wall space so there is still a signal coming through. Again though it seems better. I do hot have a grounding electric current run through it as that seemed near impossible given my space's layout and electric set up.

Thanks
C.M.

C.M.
# Posted: 12 Feb 2008 14:23

I forgot to add in my earlier post (about the foil)--it seems possible that the foil might screen out microwaves, and thus a heating aspect of the phones and towers could be reduced? But apparently some other components of the signal are still going through us. It seems possible that one aspect of the EMF hurts me more than other parts of its frequency/pulsing/heating effect. If foil can take the edge off I would prefer to wear it so as to be less of a nervous wreck in public, but if I'm a complete idiot trapping signals I guess I'll move to the mountaintop after all...

And the information in another thread about the water molecules of trees being harmed by EMF is another big clue about the relation between EMF and headache, if I might conjecture...
CM

weety
# Posted: 19 Feb 2008 01:42

Get your amalgam fillings removed and I bet you will start to feel better.

Anonymous
# Posted: 9 Jan 2009 19:51

i have been going to a natural DR. Dr. Barkins in encinitas CA. for years now and asked her to find me something for emf and cell phone towers. It took her a while, but now she got me a necklace from Q-Link it has copper in it and my health has improved greatly. I also got one for my boyfriend and he did not believe it , but one day when he was in fron of his computer he got weak got up and put it on and felt better right away

Sandaura
# Posted: 25 Jan 2009 01:43

Hello everyone,
Just wanted to share this website with you. http://mikeholt.com/newsletters.php?action=display&letterID=669
It is entertaining to say the least. Mike published our story in his newsletter. He has a following of 65,000 electrical professionals. The responses to our problems is very disturbing, but not surprising given what we have been though. Enjoy. I commend Mike Holt for trying to enlighten and broaden the horizons of these guys.

Sandaura

Carol
# Posted: 2 Mar 2009 20:20

I have emissions coming from hidden antennas in church steeple here in CT, USA. I have tried lots of things, and so far what I feel is working to cut down on the microwaves is the Radio Frequency Shielding Fabric, and I am using Swiss Shield Naturell. My electrosmog is loud in front of it, but not on the side of my living space. I bought it though http://safelivingtechnologies.com in Canada. Yet, I note when the emissions are truly putting out higher fields, I have lots of symptoms still, and I question the induction by it affecting the Cable and inside wiring. I also had a person who is trained by www.bau-biologieusa.com come from NJ, and he did a report and found various problems, of which presently the elderly/handicap housing I live in have not fixed. One major problem he feels is that the alarm system is probably not grounded. His site is www.eainc@emfrelief.com. I might try the paint in the future, but I truly would like to see the problems he found fixed first. I have sent out a big HELP letter with his report to some politicians and others last week, and thus far I have not heard back. But hope I do in the near future.....

Carol
# Posted: 2 Mar 2009 23:25

I should have put his Web page in NJ, it is www.emfrelief.com which is an excellent site with a lot of information, and www.buildingbiology.net also for Bau-Biologie.

Anonymous
# Posted: 27 Apr 2009 14:13

I have greatly enjoyed reading this, It has lightened up my day.
not in a long time have I laughed at some much trite in one place. Some awe inspiring stories and some incredible accounts. Literally In Credible.

Henrik
Admin
# Posted: 27 Apr 2009 17:20

Anonymous,

Happy to have entertained you. When you are harmed by microwave radiation from mobile-phones, wifi etc. you will know just where to find us.

Anonymous
# Posted: 4 May 2009 21:56

Hi henrik,
I am in the US with the worst case of ES that I know of amongst the 40 people I've met with it.

I have to sleep in my car because I have to sleep in 2-3 locations per night as the pain drives me out..usually burning in my brain area or heart and breathing difficulty.

My friend..who has more money than I ..is trying to heklp me figure out how I can rig my car with copper screeening mesh. ONce I enclose myself in a bulit cage for a van, will runnng a wire from it to a te
[b][/b]
nt stake outside do the trick of grounding?/
(and I'd have to make sure on storm nights i"ll pull the plug on that quickly or I'd be a magnet for lightning!)

anything you offer of info would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
alison

Sandaura
# Posted: 27 Jul 2009 23:23

HELP WANTED

GLOBAL CITIZENS OF THE WORLD:
WE ARE LOOKING FOR CONCERNED INDIVIDUALS TO VOLUNTEER THEIR TIME TO HELP ORGANIZE GRASS ROOTS GROUPS IN THEIR STATES, REGIONS, PROVINCES FOR THE PURPOSE OF RAISING AWARENESS ABOUT DANGEROUS AND HAZARDOUS LEVELS OF RF ELECTROMAGNETIC RADIATION AROUND THE WORLD THAT WE ARE ALL BEING EXPOSED TO, 24 HOURS A DAY, IN OUR, SCHOOLS, CHURCHES, HOSPITALS, WORKPLACE, COMMUNITIES, AND HOMES.

OUR MISSION STATEMENT:
WE ARE PEACEFUL, LOVING HUMAN BEINGS ENTRUSTING OUR ELECTED OFFICIALS TO PASS EFFECTIVE LEGISLATION TO PROTECT US FROM HARMFUL RADIATION IN OUR ENVIRONMENT. WE ARE ALSO SPEAKING UP FOR PROTECTION AGAINST EXTINCTION OF THE HUMAN RACE AND WILDLIFE SPECIES, WHO DO NOT HAVE A VOICE TO DEFEND THEMSELVES. WITHOUT OUR PRECIOUS BALANCE WITH WHICH WE ARE LINKED TOGETHER, WE WILL PERISH. TO OVERCOME THIS RISK WE WILL EDUCATE, WRITE LETTERS, PETITION, FORM PEACEFULLY IN PROTEST, DEDICATING OUR TIME AND ENERGY UNTIL THIS GOAL IS MET.

THIS IS URGENT:
RF PROLIFERATION HAS BEEN IN OUR ENVIRONMENT FOR OVER 20 YEARS FOLLOWING THE INTRODUCTION OF WIRELESS DEVICES. SCIENCE IS NOW REPORTING SERIOUS ILL EFFECTS FROM EXPOSURE, DESPITE THE FDA'S
APPROVAL. WE HAVE A RIGHT AND A DUTY TO DEFEND OUR LIVES AS HUMANE BEINGS OF THIS BEAUTIFUL PLANET. WE MUST STAND TOGETHER AND DEMAND OVERSIGHT, ENFORCEMENT, AND LAWS TO KEEP US SAFE AND SEND A CLEAR MESSAGE TO CORPORATE DICTATORS, SPECIAL INTERESTS GROUPS, IGNORANT OR CORRUPT POLITICIANS, AND ANYONE WHO ENDORCES OR ENABLES THIS POLLUTION. THIS IS OUR ONLY HOPE.

WE MUST ACT NOW:
YOU CAN HELP TO PRESERVE A HEALTHY LEGACY FOR OUR CHILDREN AND TO AVOID ONE OF ILLNESS AND STRUGGLE FOR THEM TO BEAR. NOT TO ACT CREATES A DOMINO EFFECT FOR US ALL WITH NO SAFETY FROM RADIATION FOR ANYONE OR ANYTHING ON THIS PLANET. YOU CAN HELP DISSEMINATE VITAL INFORMATION, EDUCATING OTHERS SO WE CAN COME TOGETHER AS ONE STRONG VOICE TO STOP THIS CORRUPT NEGLIGENCE. WE WILL ALL BRING OUR VOICES TO WASHINGTON BEFORE IT IS TOO LATE.

WE WILL SOON BE TRAVELING TO A TOWN OR CITY NEAR YOU AND WILL GATHER SUPPORT BY WAY OF PETITIONS AND PROTEST GROUPS.

If you are interested in participating please email:

GlobalRFRdefenseteam@verizon.net

Sandaura
# Posted: 27 Jul 2009 23:29

I want to clarify that we need people to participate and welcome everyone, regardless of what they can contribute. The important thing is that we have a way of documenting how many victims there are around the world. At the very least your signature on a petition or letter will be asked of you. Thanks
email: Globalrfrdefenseteam@verizon.net

ericgeneric
# Posted: 28 Jul 2009 01:38

This is my first post, but I may as well begin here as the reason for my EHS troubles is the giant 2G mast less than 100 yards from my door. It's in a direct line with our house, and as we're at the bottom of a slope (and the mast is at the apex) the angle of emissions is probably making it worse. Anyway, I would be only too willing to help in any way possible with raising awareness. I am sick (literally!) of trying to fight the likes of Ofcom, O2, the local council, the medical profession, etc.

3 years ago, our mast was doubled in strength. I have used the Sitefinder website to check the masts all over the country, and our 3.2W mast (with a double antennae housed in an ugly outsized case) seems to be about the upper limit of what's around. So we're unlucky. I cannot spend any amount of time in my own home without some level of discomfort, which ranges from sharp prickling all over my body, to chronic headaches, to my brain feeling physically "jammed", to an all-out case of agony and an urgent need to get away from the EMF fields filling the rooms as soon as possible. The longer I try and put up with it, the worse it becomes and the longer it takes to wear off once I've escaped to somewhere that's not so strongly affected.

But therein lies the growing problem we're facing; there are fewer places where these masts are not present. The myth of the countryside being better for peace and quiet also extends to it being safer for EMFs. Not so. In fact, the biggest/strongest masts are in fields, next to farms, in designated parklands, and so on. I usually end up in a supermarket carpark or a garden centre. I can travel up to an hour in any direction from home and only find a handful of "safe" places, none of which are 100% free of mast emissions, but are just barely outside their radius.

I can sense a mast from about half a mile away, and can even tell which direction the emissions are coming from. The strength, and how badly they affect me, also varies wildly from day to day and location to location.

It is becoming impossible to live, quite simply. My family are at their wits' end, we tried to seal a room with sheilding paint at a huge cost but it has not helped whatsoever, in fact the room is now totally unusable whereas before it would fluctuate in its usability. We just don't know what to do next, or where to turn to.

EG.

Volker
# Posted: 29 Jul 2009 14:45

Dear ericgeneric,

you say your shielding measures were not according to plan and that you don´t know what to do next.
Please let me tell you one thing: you will never get rid off the whole radiation coming from a mast nearby but you can reduce it considerably. You say you painted the entire room. What about the windows? Is there any spot where the radiation can still come through unhindered?

I am asking this as I work for the company YSHIELD: We are manufacturer of shielding paint. And if you want to I can give you advice...

Not only the forum shows that EMR protection it is a serious topic, empirically the MOST important thing is to shield correctly.
If there is anyone who needs advice, please feel free to write. Primarily I do not intend to push my shielding products. The thing is more simple: there are many people suffering just because they don´t know what to use . Don´t fritter away time by trying to sue the network operators. We all know that they don´t exceed the limit values.

ericgeneric
# Posted: 29 Jul 2009 19:57 - Edited by: ericgeneric

Hi Volker, thanks for the reply.

We didn't do the room ourselves but entrusted someone who supposedly had experience in sheilding rooms and knew what was required. I was personally a bit sceptical that complete (or around 95%) protection would be possible, when there are small gaps around the door to the room, the floor remained carpeted and as you say also there was the window to be considered. But we trusted their apparent expertise and knowledge. They chose to put shielding material up at the window, but only across the panes of glass and nailed into the frame.

I felt no reduction of the emissions, and in fact felt much worse. Standing/sitting anywhere near the window was very uncomfortable, and heightened the symptoms rather than the expected reverse. The fumes from the paint have never worn off, making the room unusable for anyone, even the non-EHS sufferers in my family. There is a constant heavy odour of paint and as soon as the temperature rises about 70 degrees, it becomes a pungent, sulphuric type of smell that ends up filling the adjacent rooms and hallway.

We believe too many coats (four) of the YSHIELD were applied in too short a time (less than 24 hours) along with four coats of emulsion, and from my basic recollection of Science lessons at school, the smell is identical to the types created in laboratories by chemical reactions.

It's obvious the shielding has been done incorrectly, but how can it be put right? We've been told there is a kind of "neutralising" paint, but is that an option? Does the whole room need to be stripped of the existing YSHIELD and emulsion coats?

Any help much appreciated,
EG.

Volker
# Posted: 30 Jul 2009 10:34

Hi Eric,

please explain to me: you say the temperature rises about 70 degrees! How does that come? Furthermore please tell me if you used the Yshield paint HSF54 as it has low VOC content, it is highly breathable and free of
solvents, plasticisers, etc.
Beside I totally agree with you that the shielding has been done incorrectly. I mean 4 layers of shielding paint + another 4 coats of emulsion! This is the worst price-cost-ratio ever. And you should always wait till the first layer is absolutely dry before making a second layer.
I try to help you but I need some statements:
- which type of shielding paint and emulsion paint was used?
- how does it look now? Are there any spots on the wall?

The thing is, and I am quite sure about that, the emulsion paint was used when the shielding paint has not been dried completely. And that effects the attenuation negatively.

Volker

ericgeneric
# Posted: 30 Jul 2009 22:13

Oops, I meant to say rises *above* 70 degrees Farenheit!

I will check out the information you asked for Volker, and let you know.

Many thanks,
EG.

ericgeneric
# Posted: 31 Jul 2009 00:00 - Edited by: ericgeneric

Okay, I have got all the paint details. We used the HSF54 carbon paint, and a Crown branded water-based white matt emulsion with a VOC of between 0% and 0.29%.

Also I have checked how the room looks now (and it is as severely discomforting to me as ever, even for a brief time). I'm not sure what you mean by spots - do you mean small areas of the black carbon paint showing through? Or raised blobs of the emulsion paint? The wall surface is not smooth at all, it is covered in small lumps and a general roughness. I am not sure if this is normal for a surface covered in carbon paint.

EG.

Volker
# Posted: 31 Jul 2009 11:12

Hey Eric,

ah I see, 70 degrees Fahrenheit...
Well our handling and processing leaflet for shielding paints says: cover with two layers of water based emulsion paint(also known as latex or vinyl paint), with good hiding power. Do not use: Silicate paints, clay paints, lime cement paints, plasters, spackles, etc. These products may cause adhesion problems! If you intend to use any of thoseproducts as a top coat, always test for proper adhesion before application!

How many µW/m² do you still measure?

You say that the wall surface is not smooth at all and that there are lumps. Hmm, this is indeed not satisfying. Can you please check again about the VOC. It is always stated in g/l not in %.
I suppose that any binding agents in the emulsion are the reason for the bad situation.
We´ll keep in touch.
Volker

. 1 . 2 . 3 . >>
Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Image Link  URL Link 

» Username  » Password 
You can post anonymously by entering a nickname with no password (if that nickname has not been taken by another member) or by leaving both fields empty. If you have an account you can also log in from this page without posting a message.

These forums are running on open source forum script miniBB™ © 2001-2024