- Forums - Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -
www.mast-victims.org forum / General discussion / "Smart Meters"
<< . 1 . 2 . 3 . 4 . 5 . 6 . >>
microscott
# Posted: 23 Feb 2011 12:30

Smart meters require the use of power line communications. This has already caused suffering for many americans where they have used it as a solution to rural broadband. Let me make it clear - the signals don't go down the wire, they turn the whole grid into a microwave transmitter.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7mLtygxIaFs
Keep your eyes on this
http://www.neighbourhoodinvestor.com/Merseyside/article.asp?id=411
it has now disappeared from beeb news!

ericgeneric
# Posted: 23 Feb 2011 13:22

Chief of BT was on BBC News the other day, stating that all their efforts are now going tp be focused on developing fibre-optic broadband. Does this mean (as I have read a few times over the last few years) that they are effectively admitting that mast-generated broadband is not suitable?

EG.

microscott
# Posted: 23 Feb 2011 21:52

that's bullshit as well. only connecting 50% of cabinets.

microscott
# Posted: 23 Feb 2011 21:58

fibre to everybodies home. planning permission to install wifi, and any objection from the neighbour to be considered.

microscott
# Posted: 23 Feb 2011 22:03

and find another way to communicate with satellites, nasa, you bastards. what was that email about?

anne
# Posted: 1 Mar 2011 16:10

I wrote to the Health Protection Agency and they said we have not got enough evidence that 'radio waves' cause illness and those who think they do are imagining their symptoms.

You know they have been saying this to people with allergies for years until they devised test to show that allergies are real - there are physical changes in the body which are result of an allergic reaction - i.e. increase in a type of white blood cell called eosinophil.

That took more than 30 years to get into the public domain and people knew about it. If we have to wait this long for the dangers of microwave technologies to get into the public domain who knows hat will happen by then!

PS they still insist in calling microwaves radio waves. That sounds so much more amenable.

Smart meters and other microwave technologies are going to join all the others in the list of things causing health problems along with lead poisoning, asbestos, tobacco smoke, and some GM foods and no one cares because the big money that companies pour into keeping researchers quiet is buying them all off - until it is too late!

ericgeneric
# Posted: 1 Mar 2011 17:25

The HPA are a disgrace, and ought to be disbanded immediately.

EG.

daniel
# Posted: 6 Mar 2011 19:08 - Edited by: daniel

Smart meters require the use of power line communications.

In east of Canada Smart meters will emit by an antena at 900 MHz. For now it's on trial, but imagine every housing with 1 more transmiter. In 1 year the electrosmog will jump.

# Posted: 8 Mar 2011 14:23

http://www.next-up.org/Newsoftheworld/2011.php

Anonymous
# Posted: 24 Mar 2011 17:13

You wonder what they have actually achieved over the years. They have allowed all sorts of things that should not have happened and which cause ill health.
I am thinking of all the sprays that people use for cleaning. Why do these need to be in spray form and hence can be inhaled, some of the chemicals used are quite damaging to the lungs and to the skin.
It seems that if the big corporations decide to sell something no one can stop them, they can simply buy them off.
Mobile phone companies and now the smart meter companies are buying anyone who might object to their 'business' and the rest of us just have to put up with it. The most upsetting thing is that the media are going along with it all without a whimper of objection and they are supposed to represent the population.
Why are not the media questioning the necessity for these meters? I wonder how much they have paid the government to let them instal them?

Will
# Posted: 30 Mar 2011 10:18

http://www.energy-retail.org.uk/documents/BERRWANCommunicationsOptionsDefinition.pdf
Smart Meter Communicaion Options
This a pretty lengthy document. Basically what it is saying is that the only viable option for communication is power line communications and everybody in UK must have one by 2020. Some suppliers in US have said they will allow opt-out. This is pointless if your neighbours have it and they will probably charge you extra as well.

Anonymous
# Posted: 31 Mar 2011 17:58

This power line communication is it a wired system, via powerlines? Had a quick look at this but i'm no wiser!

Will
# Posted: 3 Apr 2011 04:19

Smart meters are using Long Wave frequencies
http://mobiledevdesign.com/standards_regulations/ofdm-plc-modem-100-kbps-0529/
to communicate with a 'concentrator'.
https://www.itron.com/productsAndServices/Pages/Concentrator%20PLC%20Mark%203.aspx
Power lines were never meant for communication, they leak radio frequencies.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transmission_line
As soon as you put one of these devices on the grid it turns the whole damn section into an antenna and that includes your house wiring as well.
The quality of communication is so poor over the cable I believe they are actually exploiting the ground wave effect to propogate the signals.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Surface_wave
This is actually another wireless digital network. It uses a very similar protocol to UMTS and it is already up and running.
It will give power companies control over your power usage and access to data about some very intimate parts of you life.
Google are already in on the act.
http://www.google.com/powermeter/about/about.html
I'm sure I read somewhere that some are based on an embedded Windows 7 computer. Even if that is not the case they are not secure and neither is the communiction.
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2009/06/12/smart_grid_security_risks/

And if you are wondering why TV's make you sick...
http://www.bushywood.com/tv_detector_vans.htm

anne
# Posted: 5 Apr 2011 16:48

Will, thank you for all this info. I read the last one about BBC detector vans and TVs. It is very interesting.
I will say this though! I went to buy a new TV the other day and I took my emf detector with me and bought one that did not have microwaves emitted from it and I found it not too bad. The previous old TV was causing very loud noises with the detector. (Yes the shopworkers probably though I was some mad woman but they were sympathetic when I told them my child had cancer!)

The TV that I bought in the end was an LG plasma, other plasma tv s were particularly noisy with the detector! I think the new LEDs don't give out much noise! (i.e. microwaves) - at least the ones I tried but they were much more expensive.
But I will tell you this: smart meters are worrying me a great deal because it means that we cannot get away from microwaves!

anne
# Posted: 5 Apr 2011 17:01

Will,
Smart meters are using long wave frequencies.
Does that mean that smart meters do not use microwaves? As I understand it, long waves don't have the same effect because as microwaves?!

ES
# Posted: 5 Apr 2011 20:29

The smart meters Do use microwaves.

See the Powerwatch article library
http://www.powerwatch.org.uk/library/index.asp

Publications: Electrical Appliances and House Wiring

- Smart meters and remote reading of meters

ES

anne
# Posted: 7 Apr 2011 16:14

ES thank you for the info.
It is amazing - everyone should read it. The only people that benefit are the energy companies! What is new!

Who actually wants to be in communication with their energy use! We all know what uses a lot of electricity - having heaters and ovens on. We also know what uses up a lot of gas having the central heating on. Well,
put on warm clothes,
keep the tumble dryer use to a minimum,
make full use of the oven when it is on and don't turn it on too often!
And turn TVs and lights of when not in use!
Remember the days when people used to put thermals on?! Now they go around in tea shirts.
The smart meters are going to use microwaves to communicate with the energy companies and those of us who don't use mobile phones will be forced to use them by the name of smart meters!
I always planned to cover mine so that it is useless but then the neighbours' one will still be beaming microwaves into my house!
I can only say God help us!

anne
# Posted: 7 Apr 2011 16:26

ES thank you for the info.
It is amazing - everyone should read it. The only people that benefit are the energy companies! What is new!

Who actually wants to be in communication with their energy use! We all know what uses a lot of electricity - having heaters and ovens on. We also know what uses up a lot of gas having the central heating on. Well,
put on warm clothes,
keep the tumble dryer use to a minimum,
make full use of the oven when it is on and don't turn it on too often!
And turn TVs and lights of when not in use!
Remember the days when people used to put thermals on?! Now they go around in tea shirts.
The smart meters are going to use microwaves to communicate with the energy companies and those of us who don't use mobile phones will be forced to use them by the name of smart meters!
I always planned to cover mine so that it is useless but then the neighbours' one will still be beaming microwaves into my house!
I can only say God help us!

Will
# Posted: 10 Apr 2011 10:08

Some smart meters will use built in cell phone transmitters but the in the main the UK system will use long wave frequencies. In fact this system has been used for at least 20 years by energy companies across the backbone of the grid. That's why power lines cause brain tumours and childhood leukemia not the 50Hz power cycle.

Will
# Posted: 20 Apr 2011 20:00

"Consumers are a little like rats. You put them in one side of the maze and see where they come out."

http://www.mast-victims.org/index.php?content=news&action=view&type=newsitem&id=5203

Psychopath!

ericgeneric
# Posted: 21 Apr 2011 01:24 - Edited by: ericgeneric

He can have a nice little chinwag with Steve Jobs in the hereafter.

EG.

Henrik
Admin
# Posted: 3 May 2011 09:19

In a comment on the Dr. Mercola site I came across this interesting bit re smart-meters:

"Not sure about the legalities in the US, but I have a friend here in Australia who received a letter from his electricity supplier stating that they would be installing a smart meter at his home within the next two months. He wrote back to them stating that his implied contract with them was to supply electricity, provide him with an analog meter and be able to enter his property to read that meter. If they intended to install a smart meter, this was not part of the contract with him and if they attempted to install it he would have the company charged with trespass. He received a letter back saying that they had recalculated the expense involved and no smart meter would be installed on his property. May be worth a try."

source (see comment #3 on the article):
http://emf.mercola.com/sites/emf/archive/2011/05/04/do-cell-phones-cause-brain-cancer .aspx

Anonymous
# Posted: 4 May 2011 16:19

http://conversation.which.co.uk/energy-home/is-my-smart-meter-spying-on-me/

Will
# Posted: 5 May 2011 01:31 - Edited by: Will

100 million credit card numbers stolen from the playstation network. They assumed because the playstation was proprietary firmware they were safe but hackers installed linux on their consoles.

Smart meters are a real tin-pot affair and offer insights into your life as intimate as going through your wheelie bin. Most hacking relies on social engineering and this sort of information gives them a head start.

Every week massive breaches of data protection are happening. How much longer are we going to put up with this. Private companies are barely liable for this, they recieve an insignificant fine, advise we change our passwords and just carry on collecting our data. The government just sweep it under the carpet and hope we forget, which we do.

Look at this year's census (which I haven't) and the amount of information requested. The data collection process is being handled by Lockheed Martin, manufacturers of cluster bombs, spy satellites, you name it. This is legalised hacking and I, for one, will not be returning it.

Henrik
Admin
# Posted: 5 May 2011 09:57

Will,

As someone who has worked in construction of IT-systems that handle sensitive information (banking & finance etc.) I can say that it's very difficult to safeguard such information properly. There is always a weakness somewhere in the chain.
You have to know every software component inside-out to be (halfway) sure that there aren't exploitable weaknesses. That's why I shudder at the fact that many banks run their operations on Microsoft systems because Microsoft is proprietary, closed and famous for handling security matters as an afterthought. You can't get to review their source-code. With open-source systems like Linux you have full access to the source-code so you can have a look, verify for yourself, and if you find a problem you can contribute a solution. Proprietary software vendors rarely let you do that, let alone disclose that there are problems - cause' it's bad news for the investors and the stock ticker.

In any case, to be fully secure, sensitive information should not be stored in on-line systems at all.

As you point out, crackers (see explanation below) mostly gain access via "social engineering" which is the art of tricking people into handing over passwords and other sensitive information. "Phishing" is an example of this where legitimately looking emails and websites trick people into thinking that their whatever account password has expired and that they must now key in their info, credit-card numbers, passwords all over again, but this time at a fraudulent site.

Every other day the latest encryption scheme is cracked by energetic computer scientists and mathematicians. Ironically, last time it was done with a cluster of 100 Sony playstations working together as a number crunching super-computer.

One thing that worries me is Amazon's 1-click ordering where they store your complete credit card info so that you can order stuff by one click with no need to key in any numbers. Very convenient but amazingly vulnerable.

Consider Denmark, where I live: the social-security number is a unique identifier for every living citizen and is also the primary key across at least 1500 government databases. So with someones social-security no. you could extract a complete profile of a persons life (health, finances, legal etc.) by cross-referencing a few databases. Access for "outsiders" has to be granted through the council for data-protection. But what do "insiders" get to do with all that information?

PS: "Cracker" is the correct term for a person who breaks into networks and software security with evil intent. The often used term "Hacker" is a misnomer. Historically a hacker is a hobbyist who dabbles and builds things, typically free software, while sharing his/her knowledge in the process.

ericgeneric
# Posted: 5 May 2011 18:41

The smart meter adverts have started on TV (courtesy of British Gas) so I expect it's on the way.

EG.

Will
# Posted: 5 May 2011 21:22

I stand corrected, Henrik, although you are splitting hairs. The term hacker is almost exclusively used to mean cracker. Correcting myself, it was actually 77 million logins that were lifted from Playstation and 25 million sets of user details pulled from Sony Entertainment. I'd love to see Lockheed Martin's systems cracked, that would make people think. Just discovered it's a £1000 fine for not returning the census. Don't care, my life has been ruined by big business and govermnent. I have nothing left to lose.

http://www.banksy.co.uk/

Anonymous
# Posted: 10 May 2011 15:06

Did you see the news today saying that breast milk is best for babies and they are less likely to have behavioural problems, (by implication blaming formula milk for hyperactivity!)
Was this sponsored by mobile phone companies and are they trying to get in before it becomes common knowledge that microwaves make kids hyperactive?
I thought it was a bit simple for a university research project, but if they are given a grant for it why not! They can reinvent the wheel many times over but they cannot find a connection between microwaves and the many illnesses that humans suffer.

Will
# Posted: 11 May 2011 10:19

It's a slippery slope now. The truth never will out because people's mental faculties are being destroyed. It's not breast milk itself but the intimate contact one has with one's mother that is important.

Will
# Posted: 11 May 2011 12:24 - Edited by: Will

Smart Light Bulbs

Remotely operated lighting I can accept as useful but a washing machine has to be loaded and unloaded therefore requiring attendance. This is not about the convenience they are peddling this is about Google's obsession with knowing everything about everything and everyone. By using these products you will be accepting the terms and conditions which will, no doubt, include a clause that allows them to collect data about usage. They received a slap on the wrist from a few countries for 'inadvertently' collecting wifi data with Streetmap cars but they are still at it with Android phones. The justification for these systems is better functionality and more control over your life. The real reason is marketing and more control over your life.

Ironically this megalomanic approach is so intrusive and manipulative the data they collect is not a real representation of peoples behaviour because without it people would not act in the same way. I would have thought the bods at Google would be aware of quantum theory and the uncertainty principle. Obviously their minds are becoming clouded by the electromagnetic fog as well.

<< . 1 . 2 . 3 . 4 . 5 . 6 . >>
Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Image Link  URL Link 

» Username  » Password 
You can post anonymously by entering a nickname with no password (if that nickname has not been taken by another member) or by leaving both fields empty. If you have an account you can also log in from this page without posting a message.

These forums are running on bulletin board software miniBB™ © 2001-2018