- Forums - Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -
www.mast-victims.org forum / General discussion / COUNTRYWIDE MAST PROTEST
sange
# Posted: 31 Aug 2010 15:22

Dear Supporters and Campaginers,

We'd like to invite you to attend our countrywide Mast Protest meeting at the Best Western Hotel, Upper Broughton, Leics LE14 3BH on Saturday, September 4th, at 11am. (Hotel link and directions: http://www.bw-leicesternorthhotel.co.uk/ )

We're inviting groups and interested parties from all over the country to attend with a view to pooling ideas and organising a march on Downing Street at a later date. We thought the march could include handing over a petition to the Prime Minister asking for the government to update and tighten up the UK law on phone masts and give residents more say in where they are sited, and a rally with a few speakers in St James or Hyde Park.

Brian Stein, Trustee of the Radiation Research Trust and Electrosensitivity UK will be chairing the meeting.

Tea and coffee will be provided free of charge, but people will need to bring their own lunch as the hotel doesn't have food available in the day. Hope that's ok.

Please feel free to pass this invite on to any other groups/people you may have had contact with during your campaign- the more who attend, the merrier. Perhaps two or three representatives from each would be enough? This is a nationwide problem and we believe we're not alone in thinking enough is enough and it's time for the concerns of the British public to be heard.

Please let us know if you can attend by midnight on Thursday, Sep 2 so we can finalise numbers with the hotel.

Very best wishes,
Sandra (Rickell)
Stop the Melton Mast group, e-mail info@stopthemeltonmast.org.uk
Tel. 01664 560885
www.stopthemeltonmast.org.uk

sange
# Posted: 6 Sep 2010 16:59

Dear All,

Just to let you know how the meeting went on Saturday. Numbers could have been better... there were 14 people in all, but a similar number sent their apologies saying they were totally supportive and would love to have come but couldn't make it for one reason or another. All asked to be kept in touch and said they'd be at the protest in London!

Brian Stein (Radiation Research UK and Electrosensitivity UK) opened explaining why we were there and then everyone introduced themselves and explained why THEY were there! The message was consistent throughout, genuine concerns about the proliferation of phone masts across the UK and the health risks, and how local peoples' rights were being completely undermined by the unfair and outdated planning laws.

We all agreed a march in London, presenting a petition to Downing Street
and ending with a rally in Hyde Park would be the way to get the issue back in the spotlight and put pressure on the government to tighten up our laws and safety guidelines in line with Bio Initiative Report recommendations and the 'demands' stated in the 2007 London Resolution.

We agreed our aims would be very much based on the London Resolution:
* to revise the planning laws and give local people more say in where masts are sited (something the Conservatives and Lib Dems promised they'd do in the run up to the election!) and allow objections on health grounds.
* to get the government to stop following ICNIRP guidelines slavishly and
be guided by more recent, credible research.
*to adopt the Precautionary Approach to masts and mobile phones advised by the then government's own Stewart Report of 2000!

It was decided we should work towards a Saturday in April/May for the march and we should set up a central database for protest groups around the country, to keep in contact and make sure we get significant numbers turn out on the day. We will only do this if we know it's going to be done well, and for that to happen we need everyone's support. The government will only listen if we are in our thousands, and judging by the number of mast protests going on around the country, that shouldn't be a problem!

Brian assured us of Mast Sanity, E-S UK and Radiation Research's support and was sure we could get some powerful speakers booked for the rally- including a couple of celebrites who have phone mast problems of their own or who are supportive to our cause!!

Each area is planning to hire a bus/buses to take their supporters on the
day with a nominal charge of something like £5 per head to cover the cost. Children are welcome and hopefully would be able to travel free, costs permitting. Everyone was very excited about the idea and said they'd go back to their respective groups and pass the word on. As soon as we have more concrete information, we'll let you know.

All the best,

Sandra (Rickell).

Tel. 01664 560885 (temporarily unavailable I'm afraid- need new phone line putting in which BT can't do until 13 Sep!) or 07940 139570.

www.stopthemeltonmast.org.uk

ericgeneric
# Posted: 6 Sep 2010 18:29

Sandra, thanks for updating us on the outcome of your meeting.

I definitely agree with what was decided upon. The clock is ticking with this problem, and the longer this government stall us and try to block attempts to bring some sanity (if you'll excuse the pun) into mast planning laws, the more people will suffer, and the more people like myself will continue to get more ill.

I'm not waiting another 9 months for answer to my problems (my situation is too urgent), but you have my full support!

EG.

sange
# Posted: 7 Sep 2010 15:59

Very much appreciated EG! Sadly- we have to give 3 months notice for the march- hence us having to wait til next year- if it were up to me- we'd be doing it today!!!

agnes
# Posted: 8 Sep 2010 02:43

Hi Sange and ericgeneric
How about we all start by writing to Zak Goldsmith?
He is on the warpath, with his constituants against a mast installation in his neighbourhood.
I guess he is our best bet.
He says he cares about the environment, and certainly wants No Mast in this backgarden.
So he went on the warpath here:
Plans for a mobile phone mast near Harrodian School, Barnes, rejected

http://www.yourlocalguardian.co.uk/news/local/richmondnews/8371739.Mobile_phone_mast_ plan_rejected/

Why not try him out?
He cant be worse than my MP, Conservative Herefordshire MP Bill Wiggin, who lives in my local neighbourhood of the village of Colwall in Herefordshire.
When I have asked him to help, he utters, "No please, Not About the Masts again" so I figure we have nothing to lose by asking Mr. Goldsmith.

So far he has at least supported HIS constituants, more than I can say about my MP, so why not give it a try? We have nothing to lose!

These ar the e-mail details I found for Zak Goldsmith:
zac@richmondconservatives.co.uk
So guys tell me what you think, will we go for it?
weve got nothing to lose, we can only be totally ignored, or gain by it.
Best regards.
Agnes

ericgeneric
# Posted: 8 Sep 2010 03:09

Hi Agnes,

You read my mind! I was sent the article about Mr Goldsmith's campaign in Richmond-Upon-Thames, and have been readying myself to contact him and/or use his example of putting people before money as something the rest of the country should follow.

Dear me, your MP sounds even worse than ours! It is pathetic, that they are prepared to do nothing about this, nothing to help the constituents they are supposed to serve!!! I have read good articles written by Zac Golsmith in the past; he seems to understand what is needed from MPs and what is important to the people he is representing.

If you travel through his borough, you will find very few masts. I've always found this remarkable, since surely even wealthy people need all the wi-fi gadgets and access, yet where are the huge ugly towers in Richmond? Makes you wonder, doesn't it.

EG.

Daliarw
# Posted: 19 Sep 2010 22:06

Sange, I would like to March on Downing Sreet, and throw a few eggs too!(joking, I can be trusted to behave). where can we put our name down to be kept up to date etc? Please keep this site informed of developments etc, you are quite right about the need for co-ordination and a central database, I am willing to offer any help if needed to get this database up and running

Kind regards
Dalia

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Image Link  URL Link 

» Username  » Password 
You can post anonymously by entering a nickname with no password (if that nickname has not been taken by another member) or by leaving both fields empty. If you have an account you can also log in from this page without posting a message.

These forums are running on forum script miniBB™ © 2001-2020