- Forums - Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -
www.mast-victims.org forum / General discussion / "Treat Yourself to BT Total Broadband - it's safe"
ericgeneric
# Posted: 16 Nov 2010 12:49

Looks like it's going to be a long battle to change perceptions, if BT's latest gambit is anything to go by. Describing their Broadband service as "fast, reliable and secure" (all fair comment), they then goone further by claiming "it's safe too!".

Safe. This suggests the absence of risk, by definition. No risk. To describe the use of a "wireless signal that's strong" (their words) as "safe" is either completely wrong-headed, unintentionally misleading or subliminally planting the idea in its custoners/the public that this technology has no dangers whatsoever.

I wonder what trading standards (or similar bodies who monitor misleading advertising) would have to say about this ambiguity. Anyone prepared to find out?

EG.

ericgeneric
# Posted: 16 Nov 2010 18:51

There is also a new TV advert from BT, for their wireless coverage, which cleverly/subliminally blurs the boundaries between public and private space. It sells an experience that encourages people to do and behave in the open just as they would do in their own home; young adults sitting on a park bench are morphed into a groovy bedroom, car parks become state-of-the-art kitchens.

All very enticing, and creating an impression of "total freedom" to do as you please and be "connected" to everything you would be able to if at home using phones, TVs and PCs. Only problem is the unseen cost of this; not only the human/health cost, but the effect on public behaviour and attitudes to those around us in the process.

Public is not private, and should never be the same. There are enough inconsiderate, self-absorbed zombies out in the world because of mobiles and iPhones! Now the likes of BT are encouraging it even more, without giving the full picture of what the consequences of this will be for everyone.

EG.

agnes
# Posted: 30 Nov 2010 01:44

Hi EG.
Wonder why we are ever more affected, but might be far away from a mobile phone mast?
Well, use this link, type in your postcode and observe with horror!

http://btopenzone.hotspot-directory.com/results.php

It seems BT does not need a planning permission to install "Hot-spot" equipment as they would a mast installation.
Look at the map, they are Everywhere!

Regards.
Agnes

ericgeneric
# Posted: 30 Nov 2010 03:57

Interesting! And kind of backs up their new media blitz campaign to sell this to the public.

No surprise to find that I'm in the middle of a saturated area. The whole village is saturated to all four corners, in fact. Which ties in with how I physically feel in general when going to and fro from home on my now-thrice daily escapes, although the brunt of the damage/force on my system comes from the mast nearest my house, and also a brand new one helpfully installed last week at a traffic junction just up the road (so yet another route is consigned to the "avoid" list). The new mast is as powerful as "our" one, pumping out for at least a 500-metre radius if not more (it begins to overlap with others at that distance).

So despite the proliferation of these BT hotspots (I'm curious to know which property on the main road in the village has the FIVE in one location! Possibly an estate agent or car repair depot), I am still most troubled by the masts. They just obliterate everything for me.

It's astounding that BT require no planning permission of any kind, but perhaps this is the telecom companies' way of bypassing or circumnavigating all the hassle, while saving the councils the bother of notification and futile opposition as well. Sweet!

EG.

Anonymous
# Posted: 1 Dec 2010 23:51

Agnes,

Thanks for this very useful, but worrying, information.
You and Henrik do a wonderful job here.

EG
I am also not surprised that the large residential estate I live on is saturated with residential BT free access wifi sources. A neighbour across the road is sharing his wifi under the BT scheme. Not good.

Shopping in the local town is difficult as the wifi is increasing. That is in addition to the phone masts exposures.

ES

dietdictocrat
# Posted: 10 Dec 2010 04:46

england must be the most radiated country in the world. in italy there is much less obsession with wireless lifestyle. literally england is being turned into one big wifi spot. wifi is stronger than 3g; its madness.

after nearly 5 years when my sensitivity to wireless technology began, i have managed to reduce my illness from microwave radiation, but recently i have been struggling to get to sleep. its just as wimax has been blanketed across dublin. my family are complaining of poor sleep too, i wonder if anyother dubliners are experiencing a change in sleeping quality in the last couple of months.

ES
# Posted: 31 Jan 2011 18:44

Virgin Media is promoting their Virgin Media Hub.
According to the person on their help-line, it is designed to cover a 5-bedroom house. Not good news!!

ES

ericgeneric
# Posted: 31 Jan 2011 20:05

Speaking of Virgin Media, they are also flogging Fibre Optic broadband (both in the mail, and on website ad banners). Does anyone know how much safer it is, and if so in what ways it is safer?

EG.

ME
# Posted: 1 Feb 2011 20:24

To Lancashire Residents especially those who have ES and their family/friends

I am trying to find out more about this Superbroadband that Lancashire County Council want to cover Lancashire with. They intend to have no 'Not Spots'. Very worrying.

The Cabinet Meeting is this Thursday at 2 p.m. In Cabinet Room B , County Hall, Preston, Lancashire. There is a public gallery. The public are not allowed to speak or comment. They can just watch and listen.
Or, ring up Lancashire C.C. Cabinet members.

http://council.lancashire.gov.uk/mgCalendarMonthView.aspx?GL=1&bcr=1
It is item 3 on the agenda.
http://council.lancashire.gov.uk/ieListDocuments.aspx?CId=122&MId=330

========================================
LANCASHIRE EVENING POST
Tuesday 1 February 2011

http://www.lep.co.uk/news/lep-business/40m_super_fast_broadband_plan_1_2991743
£40m super-fast broadband plan

County council leader Geoff Driver, who will confirm the broadband plans at Thursday's cabinet meeting
By David Coates
Published on Mon Jan 31 07:09:29 GMT 2011

Lancashire's businesses will get a £40m new super-fast internet network within the next three years.

The county council has today unveiled plans to create the broadband service which it believes will attract thousands of new businesses to the county and underpin its plan to pump more than £3 billion into the economy.

The council is to tender to providers to help create for the network and expects the provider to put £20m of its own cash into the project with the council making an outline bid to the European Regional Development Fund (ERDF) for the same amount.

It said it would also "seek to identify other funding sources" and it could look to put some of its own cash into the project.

Council leader Geoff Driver, who has approved the plans which will be confirmed by the council's cabinet on Thursday, said the network would deliver "a bright new future" for the county.

He said: "We want to open up opportunities for businesses in Lancashire, by establishing a super-fast broadband network.

"It is important for the county council to encourage business, create jobs and develop a sustainable and growing economy.

"This will help people, especially in rural or deprived areas, to connect in new ways with the rest of Lancashire and the wider world."

Council chief executive Phil Halsall said the network would establish "a new business generation" for the county, which has 40,000 VAT-registered businesses.

He said: "With the right infrastructure, we can unlock the potential in the county's economy for the benefit of the people we serve."

The council said in a report to the cabinet that the creation of a county-wide network would appeal to growth industries including digital, creative, biochemicals and advanced manufacturing and boost overseas investment in Lancashire.

It added that the network would boost the speed of internet in areas currently with slow connection, particularly in rural parts of the county, and boost the capability schools, colleges and universities.

Anonymous
# Posted: 1 Feb 2011 20:47

EG
BT and Virgin are both using 'Femtocells' inside the home for their 'wireless' Home Hubs. The radiation from them penetrates strongly into the neighbours homes and strongly.
ME

anon
# Posted: 9 Feb 2011 16:30

To EG
Fibre optic broadband is safe because it goes through the glass fibre, so it is a wired system - no WiFis to worry about. It is also more reliable, and this is what we should be promoting on this website!
Perhaps we should all join Virgin media.
I remember years ago that Branson banned all mobile phones from his office and call centres so may be he believes that there is something in this ES and his daughter is a GP and may be she noticed symptoms in her patients!

ericgeneric
# Posted: 9 Feb 2011 17:54

Thanks anon; Branson's business partner died from a massive brain tumour in the 90s caused by excessive mobile phone use, so he definitely believes in ES and the danger from EMRs.

If we ever needed to switch to broadband, I'd go for the fibre optic then.

EG.

Anonymous
# Posted: 10 Feb 2011 23:46

To Anon and EG

I agree that the fibre optic cable supplied to the home from outside is safe. BUT, you need to look at the detail on the Virgin webpages about the modum. Specifically this sentence
***You just need our state-of-the-art Super Hub wireless 'N' router***.

Scroll down the webpage to Superfast Broadband
http://shop.virginmedia.com/broadband/about-virgin-broadband/the-100mb-difference.htm l

I quote from the section "Sharing your wireless connection

We love our up to 100Mb broadband because it's made for sharing. 100Mb allows lots of people in a household online all at the same time without affecting each other's experience. You just need our state-of-the-art Super Hub wireless 'N' router, and everyone can use it - all at the same time, and all at ultra-fast speeds. See our handy hints to maximise your wireless connection."

I declined the recent Virgin offer to upgrade my Virgin cable internet because of this wifi 'N' router. On enquiring, we have been told that the new 'router' is more powerful that the 'old wifi router' and that it is designed to fill a 5-bedroom house.

At present an ES friend is struggling to block the wifi signal coming through from the other half of her semi-detached home.

It is further worrying that Virgin may choose to emulate BT and offer their own form of Virgin Hub [WiFi Open Zone]. See BTFon on the BT website.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
Also look here
http://help.virginmedia.com/system/selfservice.controller?CONFIGURATION=1002&PARTITIO N_ID=1&TIMEZONE_OFFSET=&USERTYPE=1&VM_CUSTOMER_TYPE=Cable&CMD=VIEW_ARTICLE&ARTICLE_ID =58595

I have got cable originally installed by Telewest. They were taken over by Virgin and since then I have had the speed increased.

But what they are advertising is Superfast Broadband with Wireless Modum and there is not a ON-OFF switch on it.
=========================================
http://shop.virginmedia.com/broadband/up-to-10mb.html
Free Virgin Media Hub wireless modem router3

http://shop.virginmedia.com/broadband/up-to-30mb.html
Free Virgin Media Super Hub wireless modem router3

http://shop.virginmedia.com/broadband/up-to-50mb.html
Free super-fast wireless router3

http://shop.virginmedia.com/broadband/up-to-100mb.html
Free super-fast wireless router3

It seems from the above that their packages come standard with wifi!!!

http://shop.virginmedia.com/broadband/compare-broadband-packages.html
I do not see a non-wifi modum mentioned.

Nor have I so far discovered how their modum might be converted for use as a non-wireless modum. Does anyone know how this can be done?

ME

ericgeneric
# Posted: 11 Feb 2011 04:40

I'm on dialup ADSL tortoise-speed broadband with Virgin, simply because they were the only company back in 2007/8 who didn't insist on a wi-fi router as part of a package. Their original modem didn't last that long, and didn't work with Vista when that came along, so I just got a new one from PC World.

EG.

ME
# Posted: 11 Feb 2011 11:38

EG:

For anyone who wants to turn off their Virgin modem wifi see the links below.

However, how many people are going to want or be able to do this? As the article states the instructions are for advanced users and Virgin recommends that he wifi be left ON! My original cable router from Telewest is now aging and sometimes tempramental. But, I am sticking with what I have as not wireless.
ME
============================================

INSTRUCTIONS FOR TURNING OFF THE WIFI ON VIRGIN MODEM -
GO TO
http://help.virginmedia.com/system/selfservice.controller?CMD=VIEW_ARTICLE&ARTICLE_ID =345036&CURRENT_CMD=SEARCH&CONFIGURATION=1002&PARTITION_ID=1&USERTYPE=1&LANGUAGE=en&C OUNTY=us&VM_CUSTOMER_TYPE=Cable

HOW DO I DISABLE WIRELESS ON THE VIRGIN MEDIA SUPER HUB?

This article is recommended to advanced users only.

We recommend that you leave the default wireless settings for the Super Hub as they are. If you are certain that you do not wish to make a wireless connection to the Super Hub, you may decide to turn off the wireless signal. In this case, you would be able to connect the Super Hub to your computer only by using the supplied Ethernet cable.

Follow the instructions below if you wish to disable the Super Hub's wireless signal. If you change your mind, you can follow the same steps to re-enable the wireless signal.

How to disable the wireless signal, using the Super Hub's Virgin Media button

1. Before you disable the Super Hub's wireless signal, make sure that your computer is connected to the Super Hub via the supplied Ethernet cable.

The easiest way to turn off the wireless signal is by using the Virgin Media button on the front of the Super Hub. The button looks like this:

[see photo on the website link]

2. Press and hold the Virgin Media button for six seconds.

You should now see that the Wireless light on the side panel of the Super Hub is turned off. This confirms that the wireless signal has been disabled.

Any devices on your wireless network that were connected to the Super Hub will now be disconnected. The Super Hub will be unable to accept any wireless connections until the above process is reversed (hold down the Virgin Media button again for six seconds until the Wireless light comes back on).

With the wireless signal turned off, the Super Hub will be able to accept connections only from devices that are physically attached via an Ethernet cable to any of the four Ethernet ports on the rear of the Super Hub.

To disable the router features on the Super Hub completely and use the device as a normal cable modem only, please see this article.
How to disable the wireless signal, using the Super Hub's administration interface

Instead of using the Virgin Media button on the Super Hub, you can disable the wireless signal through the Super Hub's administration interface.

1. Before you disable the Super Hub's wireless signal, make sure that your computer is connected to the Super Hub via the supplied Ethernet cable.

2. Use the settings printed on the back of the Super Hub to access the administration interface. For a guide on how to do this, please see this article.

3. Click Wireless Network Settings.

4. At the top of the screen (next to 'Wireless'), click Off.

[photo]

Note: instead of turning off the wireless signal altogether, you could instead disable the broadcasting of the wireless network name by unticking the box labelled Broadcast SSID. This would allow you to continue connecting to the wireless network but would prevent others from knowing that the network was present. Please note, though, that disabling the broadcast of the wireless network name is not a robust way of securing your network.

5. Click Save and then close the browser window to exit the administration interface.

You should now see that the Wireless light on the side panel of the Super Hub is turned off. This confirms that the wireless signal has been disabled.

Any devices on your wireless network that were connected to the Super Hub will now be disconnected. The Super Hub will be unable to accept any wireless connections until the above process is reversed (click 'On' in step 4).

With the wireless signal turned off, the Super Hub will be able to accept connections only from devices that are physically attached via an Ethernet cable to any of the four Ethernet ports on the rear of the Super Hub.

To disable the router features on the Super Hub completely and use the device as a standalone cable modem (SACM) only, please see this article.

link to:
http://help.virginmedia.com/system/selfservice.controller?CMD=VIEW_ARTICLE&ARTICLE_ID =345047&CURRENT_CMD=SEARCH&CONFIGURATION=1002&PARTITION_ID=1&USERTYPE=1&LANGUAGE=en&C OUNTY=us&VM_CUSTOMER_TYPE=Cable

Using the Virgin Media Super Hub in bridge mode to act as a Standalone Cable Modem (SACM)

The Virgin Media Super Hub cannot at present be used as standalone cable modem (SACM); however, we are currently testing a firmware update that will allow the Super Hub to act as a SACM.

Once we are able to make the firmware update available to customers, details on how to download and use the new firmware will be published in this article.

ME
# Posted: 11 Feb 2011 11:56

Virgin should have made Standalone Cable Modem (SACM) available as standard.

ME

ericgeneric
# Posted: 19 Feb 2011 04:04

And they're still at the TV brainwashing...

Virgin Media : "A More exciting place to live".

Well that's one way of putting it.

EG.

ES
# Posted: 26 Jun 2011 13:39

EG/Henrik
I have cable connection - now from Virgin. No wifi/no DECT.
I have been having trouble with my Telewest modem [9 years old] since my computer was upgraded to Windows7. i keep getting a message saying there is not an IP address. Then a series of bixes come up to do a computer check and it sets the IP. I have to do this each time i go online. Sometimes, if the connection gets dropped then i have to repeat this.

i rang up virgin yesterday and went through a series of computer set-up checks.
The Virgin man said that the problem was my modem. i explained about the electrosensitivity and that i do not have and I not want wifi in my home - never ever - not even a little bit.
He said a lot of customers preferred wired connections.

He said that he would send me a new wired modem without wifi and that would fix my problem.
Question: Has anyone had or know anyone who has had one of these Virgin supposedly 'wifi-free' modems and were they wifi free and problem free.

Does anyone understand the technicalities of what is happening.
This new modem is supposed to automatically recognise the IP address.
I assume that the IP address stays the same on avirgin cable connection?

On the previous Windows 2000, there was somewhere where you physically typed in the IP address.

Has anyone else had this issue with Windows7. It is just this automatic recognition of the IP address that makes me wonder and worry.
Should i go to a computer shop and ask them for a wired modem [not a Virgin one]. If sao which one??

Thanks.
ES
Any thoughts anybody?

Henrik
Admin
# Posted: 26 Jun 2011 17:03

ES,

Can you post the model/type of your existing telewest modem?

What does the plug that goes from your modem and into the computer look like?
Following are links to pictures of modem connector, if you can tell me which one it looks like:
A) RS232 9-pin connector
B) USB connector

if the plug is type A then I know that Windows 7 does not support those kinds of connectors anymore (also known as "serial port", or "COM port").
You can get converter cables like this one:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/USB-RS232-Converter-Cable/dp/B00077DJIQ
Most computer shop should have them, should'nt cost much.

ES
# Posted: 28 Jun 2011 19:19

Thanks henrik,

I am not technical.

neither - hubbie says it is an ethernet plug socket.

The telewest modem is a WebStar.
it has 4 vertical lights on it - the 3rd light down flickers when sending information down the line.

I tried ringing the shop where it was upgraded today and was told by the tehnician that i would have to get a VirginHub, install it and then turn off the wifi. not good if electrosensitive. why don't they provide these things in switched off mode?

ES

ES
# Posted: 28 Jun 2011 19:21

i also asked if it was possible to get a new modem - but no wifi - and i was told they are not made any more!
ES

ericgeneric
# Posted: 28 Jun 2011 23:51

Hi ES,

I've been unable to get online with Virgin via ADSL since June 8. My USB Modems simply stopped working, and I refuse to accept that both of them suddenly packed up at the same time. Methinks their service has been altered recently, and us poor non-wifi ADSL modem users have been stuffed.

20 days later, still without a new modem, and Virgin have been a bad joke with their attempts to sort the problem out. I'd say more but I may still need to use them in future!

Wired, non-Wifi modem/routers still exist. Try a Maplin store if there's one near you, or go to their website (not the easiest to navigate, mind you!) as they appear to sell plain old wired routers for £25. If Virgin fail to get me sorted soon, that may have to be my next option.

EG.

Henrik
Admin
# Posted: 4 Jul 2011 11:35

ES,

Ah, I assumed you meant a really old modem :-) with a serial plug and not ethernet.

The computer should request an IP-address from the internet-provider when you power it on / go online. This is a setting inside Windows 7 (see links further down).
Each internet-provider has a fixed pool of IP's that they assign to customers as they go online. This mechanism is called "DHCP" in tech-jargon.
The reason you can lose your IP in mid connection is this:
Every time you get an IP, it comes with a refresh time - meaning that when a certain time (typically an hour) has elapsed, the modem must call out for a renewal of the IP. This is to avoid the internet-provider running out of IP's if customers switch off their modems without properly logging-off and releasing their IP back to the pool.
So I think you lose you connection when the IP refresh time is up and the computer can't get a new IP.

Not sure why your computer suddenly isn't getting an IP-address like it should...
Try completing this short guide on setting up the network on Windows7 to automatically get an IP upon connection:
http://answers.vt.edu/kb/entry/3345
this one might also help out, has screenshots too:
http://mhtcsupport.net/?p=1342

Will
# Posted: 15 Jul 2011 14:38 - Edited by: Will

Also not safe from the privacy point of view:
http://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/news/2094315/vodafone-denies-femtocells-security- liability
http://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/news/2094083/vodafone-root-password-revealed

ericgeneric
# Posted: 29 Jul 2011 04:02 - Edited by: ericgeneric

Interesting how NOBODY in the mainstream media picked up on this. Why aren't the Powerwatches of this world, the MPs put in charge of protecting their public, making more fuss about this? You only bring down a wall by chipping away, weakening the foundations bit by bit until suddenly it all comes crashing down. The security liability of Vodafone's system was part of the biggest media hoo-ha this decade, and yet it was allowed to go virtually unmentioned.

As I said before, where are these people who could do something about all this, and what exactly are they doing?

EG.

luluxiu
# Posted: 19 Aug 2011 03:46 - Edited by: luluxiu

I remember a few years ago, Branson ban on all phones, so from his office and call center may be his view, things in this ES, his daughter is a GP, may be she found in her patient's symptoms Tera Items!

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Image Link  URL Link 

» Username  » Password 
You can post anonymously by entering a nickname with no password (if that nickname has not been taken by another member) or by leaving both fields empty. If you have an account you can also log in from this page without posting a message.

These forums are running on bulletin board software miniBB™ © 2001-2022