- Forums - Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -
www.mast-victims.org forum / General discussion / The Hum Timetable
. 1 . 2 . 3 . 4 . >>
Will
# Posted: 17 Apr 2011 06:45 - Edited by: Will

I have been keeping a log of times when I hear the hum and I would like others to post about significant hum events to see if there is any correlation. By significant I mean particularly loud or quiet times of extended duration OR times when you notice a change and can pinpoint the time. To make this work properly I ask we restrict this to the UK and for your county to be added to the log. I know this is very subjective and dependent on lifestyle, etc. but even a few coincidences could be useful in uncovering the causes. Weather conditions may be important also.

To get us started here in Manchester it has been fairly quiet for a few days now. Sunday, Monday quiet. Noticed: Tuesday 4:00am, Wendesday 5:00am, Friday morning 9:00am. Woken at 3:00am today, went away, back at 5:00am. The weather has been gorgeous all this time. Prior to that there are quite a few expletives in my log going back to the middle of March.

Will
# Posted: 17 Apr 2011 09:08

That's a bad one. Started a few minutes ago. 8am-ish. Must have woken some people up. Guess I'm in for a few days of it again.

Will
# Posted: 6 Jun 2011 12:23

Tue,Wed,Thu,Fri - horrendous all day,
Sat - quiet,
Sun - back again,
Mon - worse.
(mixed weather)

This is getting too much to take. It's getting worse month on month.

I have been able to make an estimate of the frequency. Using a signal generator to compare with I was able to tell its harmonics. Found one around 70Hz. Halved it to 35Hz. Tuned in to 36Hz. This I would say is the first octave. We are looking at 18Hz. God only knows why he gave me such an exceptional response at this range but there it is. What could that relate to? Anyone?

Ben
# Posted: 6 Jun 2011 13:24

Hi there - just found this topic via Google.

I'm in Kent and have been hearing the annoying hum on and off since late 2008, mostly at night when trying to sleep. When I first started to hear it, it was really loud and used to pulse deep inside my head - made me feel quite ill some nights. I put up with this for about a year until I moved to another house about a quarter of a mile away. The hum can still be heard in the new house but I don't get that ill feeling like I used to in the old house, though the hum is still quite loud at times.

Ever since I started hearing the hum at night, I never get a full nights sleep. I usually fall asleep fairly quickly but then wake up every couple of hours. By the time my alarm clock goes off in the morning, I can barely drag myself out of the bed. I feel really tired and my body aches all over. I also have these really strange dreams in-between waking up - probably because I never get chance to get into a deep sleep.

Anyway, what I noticed recently (which prompted me to post here) is that the hum had stopped on Friday 3rd June and Saturday 4th June. Both of those nights I slept like a log! Sunday night (5th June) was quiet to start with (about 10.30pm) but I woke up about 2 hours later and HUUUUUMMMMMM... woke up again every couple of hours after that until around 7am this morning, aching all over and feeling very tired and annoyed.

Will
# Posted: 6 Jun 2011 20:02

I did log a quiet spell about 10 Sunday evening. It Started getting louder towards 11:30.

I know that feeling of waking up like you've boxed five rounds and been chased by hounds. Have a chat with an audiologist. I had some special earplugs made. They don't work but the molds made of my ears are excellent (if a little uncomfortable to sleep in).

Will
# Posted: 7 Jun 2011 01:45

Just got to share this right now, 11:50, it's like being inside a spin drier! How can people not be aware of this? This is a solid week of it now (apart from Saturday). I don't know what new technology they are testing now but I wish they would stop. Everyone Wherever is trying to pump as much data AMAFP (as opposed to ALARP) to get people used to 4G, TETRA are stretching the network to the limit for the Olympics, Manchester Airport may be taking on extra traffic, satellite 'king broadband! It's taking the piss!

Must recommend this series:
All Watched Over by Machines of Loving Grace
There was a shift in peoples consciousness around the millenium, we all felt a common purpose. Some new thinking came out of this but it was not good for business. It has been actively suppressed for the last ten years.

SJH
# Posted: 13 Jun 2011 17:52

I'm in Kent and have been hearing the annoying hum on and off since late 2008

Hi, I am also in Kent and can hear "The Hum", since moving to Challock I have heard it for the past few years.

I just read this article on BBC (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-13752688) and so looked further.

I hear it at night, I had thought the hum was a farm generator, with the sound resonating in our bedroom. But looking at the article date here "May 23, 1960" it's been around for a while!!! http://www.time.com/time/magazine/article/0,9171,827604,00.html Molash is just a few miles from me

A thought, te region is full of Deneholes (ancient chalk mines, just like a shaft with cave below http://www.kurg.org.uk/sites/deneholes.htm), many are exposed with just a grate, so if the wind blew it would be like blowing over a drinks bottle, but the wind doesn't blow continuously - will have to look into this one.

Ben
# Posted: 16 Jun 2011 19:20

This past week has been a nightmare for me. The hum has now appeared during the day as well as at night. It's not constantly on 24/7 but every time I hear it during the day (like today) it gets extra loud during the night when I'm trying to sleep. Lately it seems to have more of a fixed modulation that gets right into my head which feels really uncomfortable. I didn't sleep much last night (again!) and have some nice black rings under my eyes as proof!

It's 6:15pm now and I can hear it quite loudly - really pissing me off. Seriously, this is getting beyond a joke. I wouldn't be surprised if it's some kind of electromagnetic weapon being tested out on all of us. I'm going to end up sleeping in a tent outside my house if this carries on as it's the only place to escape the sound and vibrations - how ridiculous is that?!

Will
# Posted: 17 Jun 2011 08:32

Know what you mean. I'd rather be in a tent as well.

There is an explanation for it being louder at night: There is often an inversion in the atmosphere where colder air is near the ground. This diffracts and reflects sound down to the ground. The opposite happens during the day. This can occur with thick cloud also. Attenuation of low frequency sound is surpisingly small and suggests it can carry for 100's of km.

Will
# Posted: 20 Jun 2011 21:07

Weekend over, back to the hum again. A tent, a pub, anything but this bloody house.

Ben
# Posted: 21 Jun 2011 12:17

A temporary solution for blocking out the hum (which works ok for me) is by playing brown noise all night.

I have an mp3 player clipped to my pillow and a pair of small portable speakers (the type that do not need to be powered) plugged in to the mp3 player - these speakers are situated at each end of the pillow. I made a high quality 8 hour long mp3 of nothing but brown noise to play through the speakers.

The brown noise masks the hum pretty well but you then have to adjust to listening to the brown noise all night. It helps me fall asleep but I still wake up once or twice during the night - a lot better than before though.

I tried some of those silicone earplugs recently (the ones that mould to the shape of your ear) but all they did was cut out all sounds BUT the hum, which was worse than sleeping without the earplugs.

The hum is obviously man-made as it's very clever in design. It's frequency is low enough to be able to hear and feel plus the way it's modulated makes it constantly change with endless random variations in pitch and amplitude, that way your brain can never get used to it... very clever indeed.

Will
# Posted: 23 Jun 2011 11:24

Not clever, just thoughtless and random. But this is what I mean about it causing paranoia. It bugs the hell out of you trying to find a source, then when you can't find it you are left with a feeling of something unseen and malevolent in the environment.

M
# Posted: 4 Jul 2011 12:14

Just to confirm the frequency (Will) - definite rock steady 70Hz component here too. 'Feels' like a very rich waveform, so definitely contains a few octaves. Heard it now for about four years. Thought it was bad in London, then moved up here to York a month ago - absolutely drowning in it now - continuously too. Only thing that works is same as Ben, brown/pink/white noise on volume just above the Hum. Using a home-made setup like this: www.sleepphones.com .

Tried to record it before, but no luck. Study in Germany found same issue ( www.igzab.de ) - not audio, not electromagnetic.

A few people suggest audio freq 'gravitational waves' (which we don't have the scientific equipment designed for yet) being picked up by our inner ear. Can't discuss this topic with anyone without being called a nutter though, oh well.

Just wish there was a way to block it..

Will
# Posted: 4 Jul 2011 13:38 - Edited by: Will

Studying weather patterns at the moment. Have a look at Wunderground, the infra-red radar shows the low, warm cloud in black (not visible to naked eye). When there is a blanket of this the hum is consistently much worse. It is occuring every evening and morning at the moment. You can even take a cross-sectional look at the air. Unfortunately the temperature gradient does not have the resolution to show an inversion.

More or less got the sleep sorted now (with the aid of earplugs and beer) but the daytime is just as bad for me.

Cheers for the 70Hz confirmation, M. Aren't many able to discern these things. Know what you mean about discussing it, as well. Keep the faith, majority of people and especially doctors are not able to transcend their brainwashing to see this for what it actually is. Arrogance is the worst obstacle.

Apparently it requires an object with a radius in excess of the wavelength to be able to deflect the sound. If the base frquency is 18Hz the wavelength is 19 metres. We are going to have to live in large geodesic domes or spheres to avoid it. Any hummers planning to visit the Eden Project soon please take note.

Last half hour level has dropped considerably. Low cloud has given way to higher cloud.

Will
# Posted: 4 Jul 2011 14:20

M & Ben, you seem like ideal people to assist in my studies. It is a bad idea to post email addresses so I have asked admin to pass them to me. If you would like to help go to contact page and send a brief message entitled 'Hum'.

M
# Posted: 4 Jul 2011 15:05

From my subjective experience, ground temperature plays a large part in affecting the 'intensity' of the hum. Although, I have noted on a few occasions on some very cold nights/days there was no hum whatsoever. Also, when it rains the hum 'quietens' down - usually, but not always ;)

Out of interest, the property I was temporarily in a month a go, had a basement. I was expecting a hum-free experience down there, but it turned out to make no difference whatsoever.

The simple reason why every 'professional' (well almost every) thinks this is either LF tinnitus or more likely psychosomatic, is that one has been able to successfully 'record' it and have it independently verified/repeated.

I too tried to have a go, and I have a LOT of tricks up my sleeve when it comes to using all manner of transducers, digital audio, analog electronics, etc. Best transducer I found for capturing LF audio is a simple piezoelectric (digital watch) speaker under weight compression. Everything but the 'hum' showed up with everything I threw at the problem.

Around the same time the results of the very thorough and comprehensive German funded IGZAB study came out. Again, same results. They even had someone sit inside a complete Faraday cage to completely rule electromagnetic transmission out, but still the hum was picked up!

There are smatterings of historical reports (pre-1900) of this sound, so looking back at everything I have read and tried myself, I'm heavily leaning towards this being a natural phenomenon, but possibly exasperated by recent human progress ( www.northernearth.co.uk/permhum1.htm ).

Maybe the earth is undergoing some change and this is one of the 'side effects' that some of us pick up (unfortunately for ones that do!). Increased weather unpredictability, more than usual earthquake activity..

At the end of the day, if someone was able to 'capture' it, we would be able to block it. Until then, we're all raving lunatics or seeking attention or something.. :(

M
# Posted: 4 Jul 2011 16:15

If you want to try out some new ideas, best place to ask for volunteers would be: http://groups.google.com/group/hum-sufferers . Mostly non-[crystal/angel/2012] types over there ;) .

Best person UK-side to ask for advice on how to go about collecting hum survey data would the ever helpful Mr John Dawes: homepages.tesco.net/~john.dawes2/ . He's also the 'Hum Sufferers' group moderator.

Myself, I'm on observe mode, until someone can actually 'record' the bloody nuisance and have it independently verified. That could take a while yet.. ;) .

Will
# Posted: 5 Jul 2011 19:20

That's not much help. You can read my opinion of John Dawes on the other hum thread. Anyway I'm not after doing a survey.

See if you can get hold of a couple of Bruel & Kjaer's. It needs to be stereo because it might be a binaural effect. Have you tried using a bass speaker?

You need to read that post. You are still believing the bull plop.

M
# Posted: 6 Jul 2011 12:01

Will, what exactly do you have in mind? Which of the many products of Bruel & Kjaer are are you talking about? And, tried what with a bass speaker?

I read your posts in the thread you are alluding to and couldn't find anything about your 'studies'. Am I missing something here? I'm a bit slow this morning - hum was so bad it woke me up again and I had to markedly increase the volume on the white noise to mask it :( .

Will
# Posted: 7 Jul 2011 12:27

Bruel & Kjaer are about the only manufacturer of microphones with a response down to 8Hz. The other option is to use a bass speaker as a speaker. You just need to balance the impedance for the input.

Weather and hum were clearing up by this time for the last few days. Today the blanket is thick and covers the whole of Europe. Wunderground is definitely the best indicator of hum level.

Will
# Posted: 11 Jul 2011 22:39

Just been speaking to a musician/sound engineer, he is adamant (and arrogant) because he has done all these courses, that his kit does not respond to less than 50Hz. Imbecile! Brain washing is fairly universal in this field.

Will
# Posted: 11 Jul 2011 22:45

Just spotted the error - bass speaker as a microphone was what I meant to say.

Anyway, timetable: Last night was bloody horrendous. Must have been going on for 5am when I eventually nodded off. Pretty bad through the day but very quiet now.

Will
# Posted: 11 Jul 2011 22:54 - Edited by: Will

Henrik, how do I post a sound? I have a simulation and would like to know if people agree with its nature.

Henrik
Admin
# Posted: 12 Jul 2011 10:16

Will,

either upload it to some public filesharing service and link it here or send the sound file to henrik {-at-} mast-victims.org (substitute {-at-} with @) and I'll make it available for linking via this site.

Will
# Posted: 14 Jul 2011 22:16

Thanks Henrik, Email on the way.

Anybody else woken around 4 am this Morning (Thu 14th July)??

Ben
# Posted: 18 Jul 2011 12:07

The last two to three weeks have been almost hum free for me but now it's back again, louder than usual, since a few days ago. I even had to crank up the brown noise last night. I've forgotten what it's like to have a full nights sleep, can't even sleep during the day as the hum is still there.

Here's a thought - I used to be heavily involved with music production some years back and remembered the technique of 'phase cancellation', where you play two identical frequencies but you invert the phase of one of them, thus cancelling out both of them completely.

I wonder if this could be applied to the hum in some way? Probably a bit far fetched though as it would require a large sub woofer speaker and amplifier, rigged up to something generating a sine wave which has manual control of the frequency and phase angle to find a sweet spot.

Ben
# Posted: 18 Jul 2011 12:25

Forget to mention: When I first moved in to the house I live in currently, mobile phone reception was always bad and the hum was hardly noticeable. Since the hum has got worse over the last year, mobile reception is much better than it previously was. Coincidence?

Ben
# Posted: 23 Jul 2011 22:49

Right, this is going to be my last post on here.

Have just been playing some low frequencies from my laptop through some fairly large (15 inch woofers) floor-standing speakers. Currently 'the hum' here seems to be a constant tone at around 40Hz and I managed to cancel it out with my generated tone - took a lot of fiddling about trying to get the frequency and amplitude right for it to work.

A really odd thing I noticed was that if I cranked up the tone to a fairly loud level, then suddenly turned it off, the hum would be gone but would then take around 6/7 seconds to slowly fade back into my hearing again. I'm sure there's some scientific reason for this but I have no idea?!?!

So my phase cancellation theory worked some what, though there's no way I'm playing sub frequencies 24/7 due to neighbours, electricity costs and what's left of my sanity.

I can only conclude that whatever causes the hum, be it a natural phenomenon, mobile phone masts/wi-fi, gas/water mains pipes, HAARP, government mind control, aliens/UFOs, electronic harassment of targeted individuals, weapons of war...... it ain't going away! Looks like the joke is on us.

Will
# Posted: 24 Jul 2011 12:52 - Edited by: Will

http://www.mast-victims.org/resources/audio/hum.wav

Henrik has kindly hosted this simulation. (Quality reproduction required)

Ben, put this through your subs and tell me it ain't what it sounds like. The problem with building a noise cancelling system is that there hasn't been a microphone invented yet which is as good as the human ear.

Don't go, dude, stick around I'm going to reveal the cause and you can help me prove it.

Ben
# Posted: 25 Jul 2011 14:53

Will, yes that does sound like what I used to hear a while back. That was when the hum was getting right into my head and vibrating. At the moment, where I live, the hum has changed and seems to be a constant 40 Hz tone with no modulation. It's on all through the night and almost all through the day, having the the odd random break of about an hour.

There seems to be more and more people speaking up about this from what I've found doing internet searches. I even discovered a person who lives several miles from where I am who stated they started hearing the hum around the same time I did, late 2008. Surely not a coincidence.

I shall keep monitoring this topic but I won't be posting much more. Call me paranoid or a nutter but if this hum is some kind of social experiment on the masses then I don't want 'them' to get any further feedback from my observations on a public forum.

. 1 . 2 . 3 . 4 . >>
Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Image Link  URL Link 

» Username  » Password 
You can post anonymously by entering a nickname with no password (if that nickname has not been taken by another member) or by leaving both fields empty. If you have an account you can also log in from this page without posting a message.

These forums are running on chat forum software miniBB™ © 2001-2022