- Forums - Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -
www.mast-victims.org forum / General discussion / Looking for price reasonable LF & RF measuring meters.
evalon
# Posted: 30 Jul 2011 20:23

Hi,

I just found this forum doing a search on Google - very interesting indeed!

I hope you can help with my question :-)

My reason for posting here now is that I recently moved to a new apartment in Århus (second biggest town in Denmark) and noticed that my laptop - having switched on the Wi-Fi to test the extent of wireless connections transmitting into the apartment - registered more than 40 Wi-Fi connections. Really surprising ...

Also I noticed that the apartment is situated about 20 meters from a "transformerstation" (a small building with a high voltage sign on the door into the building).

Knowing that I'm sensitive to electronic radiation I'd rather be on the safe side and find out what the levels of electrosmog are in the apartment. Given that there may be both LF and RF radiation I need a meter that handles both types of signals (preferably down to ~5 Hz and up to at least 6 GHz). Also I'd prefer one (or maybe two) meters that are reasonably priced.

I've found the Cornet ED-25G (see e.g. URL) but it only goes to 3 GHz and also not lower than 50 Hz (although that may be ok if I can't find a meter that goes lower).

However, it seems that much RF radiation is increasing in frequency so I need a 6 GHz device (a spectrum analyzer would be a nice to have feature but not required). Any of you know of a such a meter/device that is also reasonably priced (preferably no more than £125)?

Greetings and thanks for reading & hopefully replying :-)

Jesper

evalon
# Posted: 30 Jul 2011 20:41

A P.S.: I also got a suggestion for the Cornet ED-65 which goes to 6 GHz, however, if possible I'd prefer a combined meter that also measures LF.

Greetings,

Jesper

Henrik
Admin
# Posted: 31 Jul 2011 13:19

evalon,

I use Gigahertz-Solutions gear myself, both for RF & LF.
They are pricey, but also high-quality and reliable instruments.
For LF there are these. I use the ME3030B which is fine for identifying problem areas, both magnetic and electric fields.

I've seen a Cornet instrument in action and like the graphical screen features it has. I tried comparing the Gigahertz-Solutions alongside a Cornet and they got almost the same results. They were not off from each other by far, only by fractions of microwatts/m2.
So if you need a all-round instrument I'd say the Cornet looks fine. If you need a professional one with both directional and isotropic antennas then I'd recommend the HF59B from Gigahertz (only goes to 3 GHz however so it might miss some new wifi equipment).

Regarding your new apartment: since you are only 20m from a tranformerstation then suspect a high level of "dirty electricity" around it. Dirty electricity is radio-frequency transients that are generated by switch-mode power supplies (in consumer electronics like pc's, dvd's etc.) and travel along the mains cabling. Look up Dr. Magda Havas' research into dirty electricity for more info.

evalon
# Posted: 31 Jul 2011 16:02

Hi Henrik,

Thanks for replying - I appreciate your suggestions and insights. I'll check into Magda Havas' research and then probably order the Cornet meter (and maybe n LF one as well but please see below).

For an assessment of LF this morning I made this experiment: I have a Fluke 85 digital multimeter and connected the ground wire to a free metallic part on one of the radiators in the apartment (grounding). The other wire I placed in the open some 1½ meters from the radiator. I then walked away to not interfere with the measurement while asking the meter to record max & min values.

It recorded a min value of 44 mVs and a max value of about 54 mVs. In the AC range it should be linear up to about 20 kHz but I don't know if there needs to be something special about an LF measurement meter? It also goes down to a least 50 Hz. I notice that the 3030B that you mention is specified from 1 - 1999 V/M ...

Best regards,

Jesper

evalon
# Posted: 5 Aug 2011 09:14

Hi,

I decided to buy a Cornet ED-85EX (slightly futureproof) & an ME3030B for LF measurements. To me this is mighty fine equipment for just my measurements but I intend to lend/rent them out very reasonably to other people who may be interested in/need to measure electrosmog.

If I'm lucky I can also use them to measure the human energy field :-)

Thanks for replying, Henrik!

Jesper

evalon
# Posted: 5 Aug 2011 10:59

A P.S.: I'll also be making a couple of filters similar to the ones described at the top of this page:

URL

Basically, it's a capacitor across the AC outlet plug and in parallel with a suitable resistor to drain any charge from the capacitor should it be taken out of the AC outlet. I will use a 4.7 Megohm resistor (1/4 watts) and an ~20 uF capacitor/minimum 250 VAC.

Just FYI if someone here is interested in a "cheap" AC noise filter. Please beware, though, that high voltages are involved!!!

A finished product is available here:

http://www.gsfilters.com/en/home.php

Greetings,

Jesper

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Image Link  URL Link 

» Username  » Password 
You can post anonymously by entering a nickname with no password (if that nickname has not been taken by another member) or by leaving both fields empty. If you have an account you can also log in from this page without posting a message.

These forums are running on online community software miniBB™ © 2001-2022