- Forums - Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -
www.mast-victims.org forum / General discussion / What is the safest distance to a mobile mast?
Chrom
# Posted: 16 Oct 2011 01:05

I'm looking for at new apartment in Copenhagen - but there is mobile masts all over the place. I'm confused about which distance is the safest to the masts? Some says right beneath them others far away. But you can't get further away than around 150 meters...so what is to do about it?

Henrik
Admin
# Posted: 17 Oct 2011 09:17

Chrom,

Short answer: as far away as possible... at least 500m.

But when that's not feasible, here are some suggestions:
There will be a significant amount of radiation even directly below a mobile-mast.
The trick is to avoid being in the main-beam and also to avoid the so called side-lobes which are narrower beams that shoot downwards close to the base of the mast. Side-lobes can be as intense as the main-beam.
The picture on slide 12 of this PDF presentation shows the typical radation pattern from a mobile-mast:
http://www.kbh-resolution.dk/files/basestation-slides.pdf
The dark areas in the picture represent the strongest microwave radiation.

The actual distribution of radiation from a mast to a location in a city can be complex because some building materials absorb the radiation - thus weakening it, others reflect radiation - so the only way to know for sure is to measure the radiation.

First off you can check the distance from a location to nearby masts with MasteDatabasen:
http://www.mastedatabasen.dk
The site can show mast positions on a map and also list the distances from your chosen location to the nearest masts.

I live close to Copenhagen and I can help you measure radiation in chosen locations.
Get in touch via email: henrik {-at-} mast-victims.org
(replace {-at-} with @)

Anonymous
# Posted: 22 Oct 2011 23:51

Hi Henrik

Thanks for your respond and the PDF :-)

I did know about mastedatabasen.dk - but that is also the only thing I can judge from :-) I think it will be very difficult to get around 500 m away from a mast in Copenhagen, even 150 meters away is difficult to find.

But thanks - I might contact you for help with radiation measurement.

Jean
# Posted: 2 Nov 2011 10:20

Hi, Chrom,
Distance is not always an easy guide to low emf exposure. It does so depend on the height of the mast, the number of operators and the number of systems, the direction it's pointing, uptilt and downtilt of antennas (both physical and electronic), whether there are any 'disguised' ones, etc.
There is also the increasing problem of people's WiFi and DECT phones in nearby homes. The radiation can extend for significant distances, affecting all those properties around them.
The best way of ensuring you find a place of lowest exposure is by measuring the fields.
It would be good if Henrik can help you find the best place to live.
On an ongoing basis you might be interested on EMFields Acoustimeter.
http://www.emfields.org/detectors/acoustimeter.asp

Good luck in your search.
Jean Philips

Chrom
# Posted: 5 Nov 2011 20:03

Hi Jean Philip

Thanks for your additions to the discussion.

Actually I am quite frustrated about it these days. It is hard enough to find a good apartment, and with this concern on top of it...it's almost impossible. If I don't know how to avoid it - or how to distinguish...it's not really possible.

Do you have the EMFields Acoustimeter yourself? If yes - is it a good and reliable measuring device? Does it make sounds or have a mute option?

Even if I get the device it's also a practical challenge to go about measuring apartments on a quick first tour in the sellers presence without discouraging or offending them. Is it enough only to measure outside the apartment on each floor?

BR
Chrom

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Image Link  URL Link 

» Username  » Password 
You can post anonymously by entering a nickname with no password (if that nickname has not been taken by another member) or by leaving both fields empty. If you have an account you can also log in from this page without posting a message.

These forums are running on forum software miniBB™ © 2001-2022