- Forums - Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -
www.mast-victims.org forum / General discussion / best RF meter under 500 US$ for measuring cell phone tower RF?
soma
# Posted: 20 Mar 2012 04:54

hello:)
very glad to find this forum. i am looking into getting a radio frequency meter and cannot figure out if i should get the acoustimeter AM-10 (http://www.emfields.org/detectors/acoustimeter.asp) or the gigahertz solutions HF35C (http://www.gigahertz-solutions.com/en/Online-Shop/Measurement/High-Frequency/Instrum ents/HF35C.html). was wondering if experienced people could help me make the intelligent choice? seems to me like the HF35C may be a more professionally made, accurate, and reliable meter but it is less sensitive than the AM-10 as it starts its readings at 800MHz. i am not sure if that is the correct range or low enough to measure the 1000 W/square meter that many consider to be the level that RF starts to get dangerous? i will be using the meter to determine if a nearby cell phone tower is emitting unsafe levels of RF to our potential home building site. if the levels are dangerous, i will have to cancel the building of our home. this is a very big deal for our family so i want to make sure that i get an RF meter that is super accurate.

thank you very much for your information and help!

peace,
soma

ME
# Posted: 21 Mar 2012 19:33

Hello Soma,

I first purchased Gigahertz equipment HFE35C and HFW35C. I later was recently given an Acoustimeter.

I advise that you go to the www.powerwatch.org.uk website and look at their information on buying houses.

My first point is that you need to consider not only the phone tower, but also investigate the exposures from neighbours DECT cordless telephone and/or wifi internet connections. The BT HomeHum and Virgin Hubs may be a big problem [ i have measured 4 Volts per metre from a friend's DECT phone.]
I can detect DECT and wifi outside our neighbours's houses.
Also be aware of BTFon and Open Access. Many BT users are now automatically opted into BTFon OpenZone access. Browse the BT website for Open Access or BT Fon and type in your postcode. Our local council is introducing Open Zone Internet access throughout the borough!!
http://www.btopenzone.com/find/uk/outdoor-coverage.jsp
http://www.btopenzone.com/
http://btopenzone.hotspot-directory.com/

Specifically, ask about what glass the windows are made of. Pilkington K is good as it reflect the mast radiation. Plain window glass is useless.
I know of many people who have been forced to move home, sometimes repeatedly because of emissions from the next door cordless phone, wifi connection or their mobile phones the other side of the wall.

Check what is coming through the windows, through the walls, through the ceilings. You may well find that levels from the mast are higher in rooms upstairs than rooms downstairs. Also look at the levels in the garden.

I have the Acoustimeter and also these Gigahertz-Solutions meters
HFE35C and HFW35C. I use both regularly.

Here are my pros and cons for my HFE35C and the Acoustimeter.

Acoustimeter [AM]
It is simple to use and requires no technical knowledge to use it. Handy to put it in your pocket or bag, and for secretly carrying out measurements.
It has a built-in isotropic antenna. That means that it measures signals from all directions. That is different to a log-per antenna where you are measuring what is coming from the direction you are pointing at. Isotropic antennae will give a higher reading than a log per antennae.
The maximum reading peak hold reading is useful. The AM goes from 300 MHz to 8 GHz [10 Ghz] so it covers TETRA [~400 MHz region] and the 2G, 3G phone masts and also detects 2.4 GHz wifi and 5.8 GHz wifi. Plus the 4G and super wifi [Wimax] as the meter measures up to 8GHz.

The range of AM readings from 0.02 V/m to 6.0 V/m [peak readings] covers a wide range of exposures using one instrument.
The readings in V/m are peak readings and the microwatts per square metre readings are average readings.

Gigaherttz-Solutions meters
They are well made and accurate. I have found them to be reliable and the service from the German manufacturers is good. They are not suitable for putting into the pocket because of size. There are videos on the GErman website showing how to use the meters.Also look at the instruction manuals online.

BUT, The HFE35C or HF35C or the HFW35C [wifi meter] read only up to 1999 microwatts per square meter unless you have an extra attenuator [20dB = x100 factor] so that you can read the higher levels.
[For the very expensive models ls there are inbuilt switches to change the range].

N.B. 1000 Watts per metre is NOT a safe reading!!! Perhaps you meant 1000 microwatts per square metre [=0.6 Volts per metre] which has been proposed in the Bioinitiative Report as an interim measure?

For many electrosensitive people 1000 microwatts is way too high.
German doctors reported health problems in patients with just 10 microwatts per square metre. That gives me a headache if i stay in it too long.

My Gigahertz-Solutions HFE35C meter from Emfields purchased a few years ago came with two antennae - a log-per antenna [directional] - it looks like the HF35C antenna - this antenna that registers between 800 MHz - 2500 MHz [2.5 GHz]. The other antenna - an isotropic [non-directional] antenna measures from 27 MHz [CB RAdio] up to 3.3 GHz - so it will detect TETRA [~400 MHz] whilst the log-per antenna that comes as standard with the HF35C model will not detect the TETRA.

However, this HFE35C with two antennae is more expensive than the HF35C with just one log-per antenna that i have seen advertised elsewhere.

But i needed the HFE35C in order to detect TETRA from the police station.

The reason that I bought the extra HFW35C [wifi] meter from Gigahertz-Solutions in Germany was that it would measure from 2.4 GHz to 6GHz .Therefore it will measure specifically the high frequency wifi [5.8 GHz] coming from our neighbour.
That HFW35C meter filters out the usual phone mast, DECT, mobile phone signals and is measuring purely in the 2.4 - 6.0 GHz range.

I have separately purchased pre-amplifiers and attenuators for both my HFE35C and HFW35C Gigahertz meters.

Note that the Gigahertz Solutions meters have a peak reading of 1999 microwatts per square metre. If you are close to a phone mast then the HFE35C could well be overscale with what is coming in from outside. We had 1.32 Volts per metre coming in from phone masts before i took remedial action [1.32 V/m = ~4632 microwatts per square metre. This was overscale on the HFE35C meter, so i had to purchase a 20 dB attenuator to fix to the meter. If you go for the HF35C or HFE35C meter then i would suggest that you enquire about the most suitable attenuator for your meter.

The exposure to phone mast radiation depends on whether you are in direct sight line of the mast, what is between you and it, the down tilt of the antenna, where you are with respect to the main beam.
You are wise to do some measurements. Preferably at different times of day if this is possible.

I have the AM and the HFE35C.

I tend to use the AM if i go out somewhere and use the HFE and HFW at home or when visting a house. The log per antenna offers directionality - to check where signals are coming from. But the problem is that signals come into a room and bounce around and there can be high spts in a room. You need to check the rooms thorouhghly and not just check in one spot in the room. Readings can alter greatly within inches.

Check what other mast sites are in your area and look at your planning department for planning applications. You might also request a pdf copy of the Mobile operators 'Forward Plan 2011-2012' to be emailed to you by the local planning office at your council.

Best wishes,
ME

ME
# Posted: 21 Mar 2012 20:28

P.S. I have also had good service from EMfields by the way.
I see that Emfields no longer stock the Gigahertz-Solutions HFE35C meter.
They now just stock the Acoustimeter.

The Acoustimeter covers a wide range of frequencies from 300 MHz to 8 GHz.
Bearing in mind how the frequencies used have increased you need to be able to measure up to 6 GHz to detect and measure the latest version of wifi [5.8 Ghz]. The range of measurement goes from 0.02 Volt per metre to 6 Volts per metre.

The Gigahertz Solutions meters are more 'technical' in that various devices may be attached to attenuate or amplify readings, or indeed filter out specific freqeuncies so that you can measure a particular frequency, say 2G.
Their more expensive meters are used in GErmany by Building Biologists.

The HF35C will basically measure the radiation from the direction you point the antenna. But you need to be aware that you can only measure between 800 MHz and 2.4 GHz.

Does anyone else in the Forum have any preferences for meters??

ME

ME
# Posted: 21 Mar 2012 20:49

You may also find these websites of general interest:

Electrosensitivity UK
Mast Sanity
Radiation Research Trust

================
Electric Forester Investigations Ltd

Wireless Protection
http://www.wireless-protection.org/
=======================

ME
# Posted: 22 Mar 2012 22:23

Accoustimeter 200 MHz - 8GHz.

I meant to type 200 MHz not 300 MHz .
sorry for the typo.

ME

Anonymous
# Posted: 14 Apr 2012 20:09

@Soma
Did you buy/hire a meter to measure the hF EMR and if so, what did you find?

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Image Link  URL Link 

» Username  » Password 
You can post anonymously by entering a nickname with no password (if that nickname has not been taken by another member) or by leaving both fields empty. If you have an account you can also log in from this page without posting a message.

These forums are running on bulletin board script miniBB™ © 2001-2022