- Forums - Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -
www.mast-victims.org forum / General discussion / Lighting and electrosensitivity
. 1 . 2 . >>
sizzle
# Posted: 30 Apr 2015 02:22 - Edited by: sizzle

Most of us probably already know about CFLs and electrosensitivity, but there are a lot of other lights on the market that also increase symptoms. In my experience, many of them are a lot worse than CFLs.

I came across this and have found this to be true in avoiding extra EMF exposure via lighting:

"Use no dimmers, no fluorescent, High Intensity Lighting (HID), Metal Halide, arc lamps, or any other lighting besides conventional line voltage incandescents." (Source: http://www.ctaz.com/~bhima/emf.htm)

To the list, I would add "high efficiency" lighting to the list. Years ago, I had learned about so-called "High Efficiency" lighting the hard way at work when they decided to switch from regular fluorescent lighting to the new "high efficiency" fluorescent lighting at work. Why the switch? Because the government had a program offering businesses FREE "energy efficient" lighting installation, with promises of lower energy bills (lie) and "green" energy. That's a clue right there: if the government or utility company is offering consumers something for free, there has got to be a catch.

(Continued below)

sizzle
# Posted: 30 Apr 2015 04:32 - Edited by: sizzle

The first thing I noticed about the lights were that they required a different ballast. Not only were they changing the lights, but all the ballasts all had to be changed out first. And as soon as the lights went in, the difference was as clear as night and day; literally. When they were half way done, I got intense headaches immediately because my eyes had to adjust to both the old lighting and the much brighter, much harsher HE lighting. After all the lights were replaced, I noticed that everything looked a lot more intense than usual and that I could see colors and details that seemed unnatural. Colors were extremely bright, almost fluorescent, and everything looked "high definition." At a normal talking distance, I could see the pores in people's faces and other details I couldn't see before (this hyperfocused state of my eyes sometimes extended for hours after leaving work). Working under these lights resulted in red "sunburning" of my face and arms and scalp, my eyes and skin were red and felt like they were burning, and it was difficult to concentrate. I felt like a piece of meat cooking under these lights. People started getting more jumpy and agitated. The workplace went from being a a place where people calm and engaged with each other to a place where people got jumpy and agitated easily--and couldn't wait to leave. To make a long story short the result was higher energy bills, an inexplicable decline in business--until we eventually went under. Unfortunately, the price for "free lighting" was very high. Too high.

When I called the agency that did the lighting, they told me that the lighting wasn't even on the market yet, but was "experimental." Wow, thanks for using us as guinea pigs!

These energy efficient fluorescents might have been "experimental" years ago, but who knows if they're on the market today. I may have been one of the unwitting guinea pigs for this type of high efficiency lighting, but I wouldn't be surprised if these are mandated everywhere in several years. These circumference of these tubes are a lot smaller than the older fluorescent tubes--like comparing quarters to dimes. And I've read that the older fluorescents and even the older energy efficient fluorescents are being gradually phased out by the government--to be replaced by these slimmer, "high efficiency" lights. Beware.

Another type of lighting that is definitely not for the electrosensitive is HID (high-intensity discharge) lighting--metal halide. Some of the symptoms I suffered from were:

-disturbed/interrupted sleep
-increased static electricity
-burning, tinging sensations
-headaches
-brain burning sensation
-zaps, shocks
-hearing buzzing noise

Not only that, but metal halide lights (and other HID lights) are so bright that one bulb can illuminate a whole block and the sky as well. This not only offends--and potentially harms--the eyes and disturbs circadian rhythms that allows you to sleep and heal, but they are too intense in terms of the heat and dirty electricity that they generate.

I wanted to share this because a lot of people don't think about lighting when they think about EMFs--they tend to think of cell phones, computers, and cell towers. From my two negative experiences with lighting in the past, I can tell you it is just as important.

ericgeneric
# Posted: 30 Apr 2015 21:33

Any of these new "eco" or "smart" lights make me feel ill. That burning/reddening of the skin, general dizziness and discomfort, hot, agitated. It makes a lot of places a no-go, even when the masts and the smartphones are not such a problem.

It is unfortunate that we have a street light directly outside.

EG.

sizzle
# Posted: 30 Apr 2015 23:26 - Edited by: sizzle

The old streetlights here are usually high pressure sodium. They have a more orange glow to them and they are not harsh on the eyes. Many of these lights are being replaced with metal halide, LED, or other "green" lighting. Metal halide lamps are extremely bright, has a slight blue or green base to them, and give off a lot of EMR. They were originally intended as security lights for warehouses, compounds, etc. because they keep areas in virtual daylight. In other words, mostly out of sight from residents because these lights are offensively bright and unnaturally white. If the plastic casing around these lights crack or break, the light from these exposed bulbs can burn your corneas. They were never intended to be used in place of regular lighting that the general public is exposed to. These lights are the greatest contributor to "sky glow" (when nighttime sky actually looks illuminated as though the sun never quite set).

Anonymous
# Posted: 1 May 2015 21:38

I think fluorescent lights can be a problem and the energy efficient ones are similar, but I think LEDs are an improvement. They don't appear to emit microwaves. But it is since wireless gadgets have become extensively used, and the masts that they need, that problems have began for most people.

agnes
# Posted: 2 May 2015 02:19

Sizzle.
I still get an electric shock if I touch a metal surface, after work on the computer, be it the car door, our metal fence, whatever!
Seems to load up on electrics in the body during work.
My son Henrik tells me to take off my shoes and socks and go barefoot into the yard (soil) and "Load Off" I did last year and it helped, but this year it hs bee far to cold to do that, but the weather is changing now in the UK, getting warmer (Wishful thinking) But ever the positive thinking person I am full of hope.
Will keep you posted on this, as it seems to reap real benefits.

All the best
Agnes

agnes
# Posted: 2 May 2015 02:20

Hi guys.
We just bought New Light bulbs, the "Saving kind" Well all hell broke loose, as we got sick, got the Acosti-meter out, it screamed its head off.
I cannot remember what these light bulbs were named, but Erik can.
So pls give me time to ask him and I will be able to tell you: Which Light bulbs NOT TO BUY!
So, I´ll be back on this tomorrow.
All the best.
Agnes

sizzle
# Posted: 2 May 2015 21:11

Thanks, Agnes. Yes it's good advice to walk barefoot and get grounded. Even in the home I'm sure it doesn't hurt to go barefoot--the friction of your shoes running the floor or carpet could probably exacerbate things. Regarding bulbs, I'd like to know which ones to avoid. I can only cover the ones that I've had experience with. I've learned to avoid anything with the word smart, energy efficient, green, high efficiency, etc. I plan on getting an acoustimeter, but for now I'm my own meter.

There's a hotel where the lighting was great because they used incandescents. When I was there again, the lighting looked the same (not harsh), but I had "busy" sleep that wasn't continuous and I woke up with red eyes. Immediately I went over to the light fixture and, sure enough, the incandescents were replaced with CFL bulbs. The lighting was yellow and softer but as I said, you can never fool someone with ES.

ericgeneric
# Posted: 2 May 2015 21:45 - Edited by: ericgeneric

In my experience, I don't seem to have any issues with LED bulbs. They are expensive, but last 20years (apparently!) and now come in traditional shapes and sizes to mimmick the old types. The only downside is they are sometimes a little whiter than the traditional incandescent glow, but not as bad as they used to be.

EG.

sizzle
# Posted: 3 May 2015 00:11 - Edited by: sizzle

I haven't tried LEDs, but I've heard that they're not as bad as CFLs.

Another thing to note is that these newer generation fluorescent lights (including CFLs) all use electronic ballasts (the original fluorescents use magnetic ballasts).

"Another difference is that electronic ballasts change the frequency of the electrical current without changing the voltage. While magnetic ballasts in fluorescent lamps work at a frequency of 60 hertz, electronic ballasts greatly increase that frequency to 20,000 hertz.

Due to such a high frequency, you will not see the lights flickering and will not hear a buzzing sound with fluorescent lamps using electronic ballasts."

(Source: http://www.doityourself.com/stry/whats-the-difference-between-an-electronic-ballast-a nd-a-magnetic-ballast)

Note: This information may be irrelevant to many here because compared with much of Western Europe and Asia, the US is a bit "behind" in terms of our technological infrastructure. Unfortunately, that is rapidly changing.

They're computerizing everything--including lights. No doubt in the near future you'll discover that the lights you're using can also be "smart light" enabled so that they can be adjusted from afar and have built in surveillance. Adjust your lighting at home with your smart phone! Use your CFLs instead of security cameras to keep your home protected! Smart, "interactive" lights that adjust themselves based on the brightness of your home--and who's using them! Oops...someone hacked into your lights and other electronics and now your latest energy bill shot up by $10,000. Oh well, prove it! Remember: it's all for you and your convenience!

agnes
# Posted: 4 May 2015 01:21

Sizzle.
Erik has now given me the name of the light bulbs that were "Toxic"
They are LED lamps, called GE (HE)
we vent quite queasy after he put the on, so he took out the Acousti-meter and turned it, It just screamed like a stuck pig!
You bet they went out, like now!
So dont buy, and install; LED´s of that make, pls.
We do not know if it is the bulb itself or the "Transformer" thingy at the bottom, but if one kind behaves like this, the rest will probably have the same quality.
Sizzle, I know you are the Canary in the Coalmine, (So is my husband Erik) but I urge you to go out and purchase a Acousti-meter, and save your self a lot of expense, AND NO THEY DON´T LAST FOR AT LEAST 20 YEARS, We gave ours away, (2 months ago) they are already Caput!
Never trust the HYPE! It´s "GREEN" (In other words) A RIP OFF!
Hope this helps.
Your way the Makes of LED bulbs are bound to be different.
One thing is certain though, The manufacturers don´t give a damn about US, the users, most of the modern products you can buy in your Supermarket, DiY stores or Hardware Stores are sub-standard.
We have had light bulbs exploding all over our dining room.
We contacted the manufacturer of one make which had exploded, urged them to investigate the problem and do something about it. Sent them the remains of their light bulb (Luckily it happened Out of Dinner Hours, but imagine a family having their meal, and this thing explodes, spraying glass splinters all over the room (as in our case) and into everyone's food
The answer was: Can you believe it: £. 20.- voucher for John Levis/Waitrose (where we actually bought the bulbs) and 20 other outlets.
Erik returned them with an angry comment.
So,please Sizzle and all of you STAY AWAY FROM LED Light bulbs"
Unless you take your Acousti-meter with you to the shop and demand to turn them on and measure monitor.
All the best to you all
Agnes

ericgeneric
# Posted: 4 May 2015 02:54

Agnes, sounds like they're not just the LED replacement bayonet-type globes that you experienced. If the lighting is part of a lamp, then yes there will almost certainly be issues arising from that, as much as from the bulb itself.

B22/E27 style bulbs, in LED form, do not have the toxic materials found in Halogen and other "energy saving/smart" bulbs. Of course, the traditional incandescents are the best, but when those stocks disappear, and you can no longer choose them, then what are we to do?

I agree about the very poor quality of modern bulbs...just recently, an incandescent globe exploded whilst in the light fitting, but luckily (!) the glass did not shatter but separated itself very neatly from the metal base and landed on the floor in one piece. And that wasn't a new-style bulb. I wouldn't be surprised if the National Grid were being tweaked in some way that aggravates traditional bulbs and create surges, as part of our brave new "smart" world...

EG.

sizzle
# Posted: 4 May 2015 03:37 - Edited by: sizzle

Thanks, Agnes. LEDs--avoid. Got it. Thanks. I've never tried LEDs because a)don't know much about them and their potential effects and b) I subscribe to the belief that, "If it ain't broke, don't fit it." Have you ever met anyone who's actually saved money on these "efficiency" bulbs? I haven't--in fact most I know complain about even higher bills if anything! I even view (HE) incandescents with suspicion. It just goes to show the spell people are under that they continue to use something that never delivered what was promised: lower energy bills. I have noticed power surges with lights too. And I seem to have a knack for causing bulbs to pop with just a flip of a switch. This is another reason why these new bulbs are potentially dangerous as they are much hotter and there's a greater chance of electrocution, fire, etc. "High output" lighting is what they should be called, not "high efficiency."

EG, I agree that traditional LEDs might be the lesser of the other evils though which LEDs is the question. Even metal halide lights can be OK if you use the older non-electronic ballast, non-high efficiency types. There's no telling what's going into these new lighting these days. I don't care for the brightness of LEDs, but from the ones that I've been exposed to the seem to emit a little less dirty electricity than other eco bulbs. Could I function under the lights for hours at a time? Probably not. But it all depends upon the specific type because not all LEDs are the same, not all fluorescent are the same; even incandescents can vary.

"And that wasn't a new-style bulb. I wouldn't be surprised if the National Grid were being tweaked in some way that aggravates traditional bulbs and create surges, as part of our brave new "smart" world..."

Right. All these power surges are just further proof that claims that these new lights were created for "energy conservation" is 100% BS. More, not less energy is being used and the both the old and newer lamps often can't handle the excess output.

ericgeneric
# Posted: 4 May 2015 04:09

It's probably best to assume everything we're told about "energy saving" is indeed 100% BS, and work back from there. The shop shelves in the UK are full of hazardous, mercury-filled toxic junk that gives off things which can and will make us unwell in a variety of ways. They offer no alternative. I haven't bought a lightbulb in a store for years.

That's a very good point about exposure...it's one thing to just have a small LED bulb in a desk light or overhead, that you use when needed, and being subjected to an entire roomfull or a store full of non-traditional bulbs.

EG.

sizzle
# Posted: 4 May 2015 05:39

Ah--I forgot that the mandates and phasing out of normal bulbs isn't the same as in the US. They obviously know that they won't get everyone on the HE bandwagon unless they force it upon people. Here we're still a bit "behind," but no doubt not by much.

Tes
# Posted: 4 May 2015 19:48

I took my Accousticom meter to B&Q and found the LEDs did not detect any radiation. Also the LED. TVs do not emit any. So does that mean that there are different types of LEDs?

ericgeneric
# Posted: 4 May 2015 21:05

It would seem that way, Tes. Certainly from what sizzle has said...I'm not knowledgeable enough on electronics and how things were in the past, but it appears there are various types of LED. Likewise, with LED TVs - on their own, and used in limited amounts, watching a LED TV - one that *isn't* smart, or wi-fi enabled or "connected" in any way - should not pose a huge problem for anything except perhaps your eyes (and that depends on what kind of programmes you watch, too).

When my 90s TV set finally gave the ghost, I grabbed a basic, no-frills Plasma TV before they phased them out last summer, because the alternatives in the stores - all LED, nearly all SMART - were unbearable for my eyes, head and body.

EG.

sizzle
# Posted: 4 May 2015 22:20

You can't touch the back of these TVs without the risk of 2nd degree burns. I'm surprised at how hot they get--and how this is allowed when we supposedly have "safety standards." Before moving, I still had 2 old tube TVs--one was a huge, widescreen. According to this, the old TVs are better for the environment and consume less energy that flat screens. Why am I not surprised?

ericgeneric
# Posted: 4 May 2015 23:25

Oh, I hated having to get rid of ours...we'd had it a long time, and resisted replacing it on several occasions, paying more to get the parts fixed and renewed than just going out and getting the new-style TVs.

But in the end, I could see the time approaching, and figured - rightly, as it turned out - that any non-Smart TVs were about to be removed from sale, so went to see if there were any I was okay with. And found a basic Plasma set that I was able to adjust to my liking, and which didn't make me feel ill to be near it.

EG.

Henrik
Admin
# Posted: 5 May 2015 00:37

Hi all,

A correction to what Agnes wrote. It wasn't the Acoustimeter that was used to detect noise from LEDs. It was an ordinary AM-radio. LED lightbulbs radiate in the kilohertz range so you can use an AM radio as detector (the Acoustimeter measures in the mega- to gigahertz range - much higher frequencies).

Bring an AM radio close to the LED light. Tune the dial until you receive a significant noise. Step away from the LED light and if the noise amplitude goes down then its coming from the LED light.

Its the built-in power supply of the LED that creates the noise. Look up "Switched-mode power supply" on wikipedia for more detail.

agnes
# Posted: 5 May 2015 01:39

Thank you Henrik. Sorry Sizzle.
Erik told me this today as well.
It was my misunderstanding, but he used a battery powered transportable radio to monitor the bulbs.
I have also been told that you can use this kind of radio to monitor your transformers for your computers, printers and such.
Try it please and let us know how you get on.

Best regards.
Agnes

sizzle
# Posted: 5 May 2015 05:32

Portable radios--that's a great idea. It reminds me of when I'm listening to the car radio (am or fm, though am is a lot more sensitive). If you pass under the power lines or transformers, you can hear those buzzing noises on the radio. Curiously enough, the same thing happens when passing by city buses; they're some of the greatest offenders when it comes to radio interruptions.

ericgeneric
# Posted: 5 May 2015 13:06

Most new buses in the UK have built in wi-fi (and have this service proudly emblazoned all over the bodywork), I'd assume the same might be true in the US and elsewhere.

I can't be behind one in traffic without experiencing severe EMR reactions.

EG.

erik
# Posted: 5 May 2015 17:21

Further to LED bulbs
I had 2 different makes:

General Electric (GE) Energy smart 11 Watt 810 Lumen
And IKEA ENERGY: 7 Watt

The GE Energy Smart bulb actually recorded: 0.2 – 0.3 V/m
On the Acousti-meter, which made me suspicious and led to the AM radio experiment.
The casing behind the bulb itself, where all the switch gear is situated, became very hot at the same time as the LED bulb itself was quite cool.

The Radio noise from the GE bulb was very loud and "Angry"

The IKEA bulb did not show any reading on the Acousti-meter, the casing got hot (but less than the GE) and the radio noise was less than the GE but still significant.

Agnes did get ill, and had a relapse.
Out went the LED lamps, never to return.
It must be stated that the lamps were in the kitchen quite near to Agnes´ head.

I have asked Henrik to measure a bulb (lamp) with his fancy meter and we might get a report from him.
Regards.
Erik.

Jhonatan
# Posted: 11 May 2015 22:37

How to use LCD monitor computer without synthom burn face?

How shield my LCD monitor against emf? What do you use?

Tes
# Posted: 12 May 2015 15:18

Well I am really disappointed that LEDs cause problems because I thought they were alright.
However I will say that I used to work underneath a fluorescent light for years and I did not feel any ill-effects until I got a mobile phone. I also noticed that you have to be close to the light bulb to detect any radiation. Also with TVs you have to be very close to get the meter red and loud.
sizzle

Please lets not get off focus of what are the real problems: microwaves emitted by mobile phones, the masts, wifis and other wireless gadgets. These emit radiation for long distances. The industry is trying hard to divert attention to anything than their gadgets, including the increase in cancers, mental illness autism and more. Press releases are coming out steadily that researchers have found some cause for the increase in these illnesses but never due to these technologies.

ES
# Posted: 15 May 2015 19:05

EG I agree with you .the traditional incandescent light bulbs are best.

I cannot stand energy saving lights either .

If you need incandescent light bulbs ,here is my suggestion,

Do an Internet search for 'heavy duty light bulbs'.
Try Amazon UK , or, perhaps, ask at a supplier of bulbs,Garages use them, as heavy duty is needed in that environment..

I got lots of normal bulbs stocked in a cupboard before they were withdrawn.
i recently got a pack of 10 heavy duty light bulbs from a supplier on Amazon.UK . One of the bulbs is in the lounge. I t works OK.

ES

ericgeneric
# Posted: 15 May 2015 22:52

Thanks ES! So often there are things we're looking after, and never think to look on Amazon.....

EG.

agnes
# Posted: 16 May 2015 19:20

ES and EG.
Often you can find these lightbulbs in f. inst. building supplies, they are also called Industrial Lightbulbs, or Factory Lightbulbs.

This is something Prof. Olle Johansen told me a couple of years ago.
So, try searching on Industrial or factory Incandescent lighting, and you just might get lucky.
All the best
Agnes

agnes
# Posted: 16 May 2015 19:33

Jonathan.
Try these links:
Now I have no idea where in the world you are, but I have added a couple of solutions both from the USA and the UK, as well as the google search page I used.

Google search:
https://www.google.co.uk/?gws_rd=ssl#q=Computer+monitor+shielding

USA solutions:
USA -- http://www.lessemf.com/computer.html

UK solutions:
UK -- http://electrosmogshielding.co.uk/prodtype.asp?strParents=&CAT_ID=115&numRecordPositi on=1
Hope this helps, but please let me know.
Best regards.
Agnes

. 1 . 2 . >>
Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Image Link  URL Link 

» Username  » Password 
You can post anonymously by entering a nickname with no password (if that nickname has not been taken by another member) or by leaving both fields empty. If you have an account you can also log in from this page without posting a message.

These forums are running on light forum script miniBB™ © 2001-2024