- Forums - Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -
www.mast-victims.org forum / General discussion / How do I get a safe high-speed connection at home?
emfwifi
# Posted: 14 Mar 2016 20:50

Currently on dial-up, because I can't understand how to get a high-speed wired connection. There is info out there but it is so confusing!

Currently with AT&T. I've talked with multiple reps who said I'd have to use "their" router and got conflicting answers as to whether the WIFI could actually be turned off or not. Thus, not confident AT&T would send a router that could be turned off! (I keep getting AT&T Uverse ads in the mail)

The only other option is Comcast. I'm confused about what I read. Will a cable connection give me dirty electricity or increase the EMFs in my home?

What kind of internet connection do I need, and what do I need to buy in order to make the connection "wired"?

Thanks so much for your help, I'm so new to all of this and have zero technical understanding or know how!

agnes
# Posted: 16 Mar 2016 01:50

Hi emfwifi
I understand that you are in the US.
Is there any provider who does Fiber-optic Broadband where you live?
Fiber-optic is a cabled connection of Superfast Broadband, but it can be
cabled into your home and cabled inside it as well.
In Britain, where we are it is widely available I found a description of Fiber optic broadband, so here goes:
What is superfast broadband?

"Superfast broadband!

Superfast broadband is delivered through cable (Virgin Media) or fibre (BT and its resellers). Speeds available depend on the technology in use; for most areas between 25Mbps and 100Mbps is typical.

This means you can do pretty much anything online with no problems at all. Multiple users? No problem. Streaming HD TV, films and music? No problem. Talk to the providers about the best service for you.

Alternative providers are also active in some areas and may provide fibre all the way to individual homes. This allows for even faster speeds of up to 1000Mbps."

There are cables to get it Into your house readily available from different providers, at a cost, and I understand that you can then choose
between having it as a WiFi or cabled to your computer and gadgets.

I have found a website, which explains what is required, questions and answers, that you might consider looking through,
http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/forum/helproom-1/router-fibre-optic-connection-388673/

I hope this gives you an idea, at least you will learn that Fiber-optic can cabled into your house and can be fed into a router for your computer.
I hope this helps a bit.
Best regards.
Agnes
agnes@mast-victims.org

emfwifi
# Posted: 16 Mar 2016 23:40

Thanks for the response :)
I am from the US - unfortunately where I live, there is no Fiber-optic available.

ericgeneric
# Posted: 17 Mar 2016 14:44

Hi, you need an ADSL broadband connection to a wired modem. In the UK, ADSL comes through the landline telephone sockets, and connects to a computer via an Ethernet cable. I would assume ADSL is available in the US.

I'm not sure how speeds compare to fibreoptic, but it's certainly a lot faster than plain dial-up and is enough to do most things online.

If at&t provide a router with ADSL, you can simply google "disable wifi on at&t router" for some walk-through videos and help pages. Or you can buy your own ADSL-compatible router that is approved by at&t, again by googling online.

Hope that helps!
EG.

emfwifi
# Posted: 4 Apr 2016 23:53 - Edited by: emfwifi

Thanks ericgeneric, this helps a lot.... I just saw a youtube video of someone with AT&T uverse who managed to get a router from them and could disable the wifi. So if I combine this with ADSL broadband, get an ethernet cable and hook it all up I'll be all set hopefully. (not sure if AT&T uses different routers depending on region)

Anyway, sick of dial-up, as I'm essentially confined to the left side of bedroom as the computer room is wifi-d out from the neighbors

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Image Link  URL Link 

» Username  » Password 
You can post anonymously by entering a nickname with no password (if that nickname has not been taken by another member) or by leaving both fields empty. If you have an account you can also log in from this page without posting a message.

These forums are running on community script miniBB™ © 2001-2024