- Forums - Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -
www.mast-victims.org forum / Discuss the Jersey (JMMCG) situation here / Discuss the Jersey (JMMCG) situation here
<< . 1 . 2 . 3 . 4 . 5 . 6 . 7 . 8 . 9 . >>
Helpful
# Posted: 10 Jan 2007 19:56

Local commercial FM station poll at http://www.channel103.com/pollmaster/t_votenow.php?refnum=184

results :
Are you worried about any health risks linked to phone masts?
43% Very worried
18% Slightly concerned
31% Not bothered at all
8% Don't know what to think

- 61% concerned at the very least, and another 8% on the fence! Less than a third definitely not bothered. Just goes to show, doesn't it?

Rosie
# Posted: 10 Jan 2007 20:39

Hi if you read the States of Jersey Health report on mobile phone and base stations, you will see it is states JT have over 100 base stations. The BSs in phone boxes and buildings need no planning permission. One assumes they need this for Island coverage, so why will the other operators be any different.

Also at the Grouville meeting Airtel adminted they would be wanting more masts / base stations in the future, so where is the limit?

Rosie
# Posted: 10 Jan 2007 20:46

This is on the Jersey Health website and quotes the precautionary approach recommended by Sir William Stewart.

http://www.gov.je/Health/public_health/health_protection/pollution/Mob ile+Phones+and+Health.htm

Sorry cannot find the link to the health report, although I believe you can ask Health for a pdf.

Helpful
# Posted: 12 Jan 2007 14:33

A new planning application in very built up area RIGHT NEXT TO A SCHOOL :

Application Reference : S/2007/0020
Parish : St. Helier
Address : (Formerly Forum Garage), Rene Le Bail House, La Route de St. Aubin, St. Helier
Application Date : 12/01/2007 00:00:00
Application Type : Satellite Dishes/Comms Antenna
Constraints : BUILT-UP AREA, SITE OF SPECIAL INTEREST
Applicant : Jersey Airtel Limited, 2nd Floor, Le Masurier House, St Helier JE2 4YA
Agent : Jersey Airtel Limited, 2nd Floor, Le Masurier House, St Helier JE2 4YA
Description : Installation of 2 No. pole, 1 No. dish, 3 No. antennae and 3 No. equipment cabinets.

(it's the art deco garage on the inland side of the road at First Tower - the school is right next door!)

Helpful
# Posted: 12 Jan 2007 14:46

btw thanks for the link Rosie, I like the following quotes :

"..Sir William Stewart's report, which found that mobiles did cause 'subtle biological changes' in the body, but their significance is not yet known."

"There are two direct ways by which health could be affected as a result of exposure to RF radiation."

".. rather little research specifically relevant to these emissions has been published in the peer- reviewed scientific literature... as yet there has been little opportunity for any health effects to become manifest."

"There is now scientific evidence, however, which suggests that there may be biological effects occurring at exposures below these guidelines."

"Therefore it is not possible at present to say that exposure to RF radiation, even at levels below national guidelines, is totally without potential adverse health effects, and that the gaps in knowledge are sufficient to justify a precautionary approach."

Sir William Stewart : "..because of the current uncertainties we recommend a continued precautionary approach to the use of mobile phone technologies"

I really don't see how anyone could scientifically say our worries are ridiculous, there simply isn't any proof that it's safe. Those who dismiss the whole issue with a laugh are welcome to their opinion but they don't know the whole story yet and the joke could well be on them in the long run.

Helpful
# Posted: 12 Jan 2007 18:35

3 JEP Letters today :

All Islanders should become informed and speak out now
From Ruth Wilson. 12/01/07

TONIGHT, Tuesday 9 January, I feel as if I have been woken from an uneasy sleep and thrown into a nightmare. While having followed the mobile phone masts debate and definitely felt against the construction of more masts in built-up areas, next to schools, etc, I have not until now voiced my concerns.

I have, however, changed my cordless phone for a corded one. I did this after reading a letter in your paper, claiming that the radiation emitting from the base unit of a cordless phone was damaging to health. It was in my own home, so I did it. Easy.

Since then, my family's health has improved. Incidentally, the shop we bought the phone at had sold out of corded phones the day after the letter was published. We bought the display model.

Now I read (JEP, 9 January) that there have been two applications approved to put up mobile phone masts in St Lawrence. One is in Field 467, next door to the Primary School that my child attends, and one in Field 101, on the lane in which we live.

I am devastated, being convinced that significant health damage is caused by such masts. Do I move house, so that I do not have to live in fear of what might happen to my family? What of all the other people who live nearby and, in fact, near to all the other masts? This is an issue for the whole Island.

My concerns have developed from a personal to a communal level. I appeal to all Islanders to become informed on this issue and speak out now.

1) Log on to www.Jerseymastconcern.co.uk.

2) Contact the Jersey Mast Concern group on jmmcghotmail.co.uk.

3) Contact your Constable or Deputy.

4) Write to scrutinygov.je expressing your concerns.

The 26 new masts have been approved for a period of 12 months. If during this time, it is proved that the masts have a harmful effect on health, they may be taken down. What kind of society experiments in this way with the health of all its residents?

Flat 2, Hampton Villa, Rue du Douet de Rue, St Lawrence.

--

Effect of emissions is main concern
From Granville Langly-Smith. 12/01/07

I WRITE in reply to the letter from Mary Osmond who was suggesting that the Jersey Mobile Mast Concern Group is campaigning for no telephone masts. This is not correct. The group is concerned with the proliferation of masts which will increase the emissions by three fold now that we have two additional companies and their networks, as well as Jersey Telecom. There is also the possibility of a fourth company which would quadruple the electro-magnetic emissions.

The danger of microwave emissions is directly proportional to the power, the area over which the emissions are spread and how close the masts are to where people are working and living. There is special concern regarding schools. Our request has been to take a precautionary approach when siting these masts, keeping them a minimum of 300 metres from residential areas and schools.

No one should be deluded into thinking these emissions are safe just because there is no immediate effect on the body. The process is slow and insidious but undoubtedly takes its toll over the long term as is now being discovered in multiple reports in the National Press. One situation in Wishaw, near Birmingham, which was reported in the Daily Telegraph, states that 77% of the hamlet contracted symptoms ranging from cancer to insomnia and dizzy spells after seven years' exposure to a mast 500 metres away. The mast was removed and people's health in the area was regained. More can be read about the Wishaw mast on www.jerseymastconcern.co.uk.

Homestead, Vallée des Vaux, St Helier.

--

Flood gates are open
From Kerrie Carlyon. 12/01/07

I FEEL compelled to write regarding the concern that a large number of local residents have about putting up further mobile phone masts, close to schools, residential areas and any other delicate areas.

I understand that the moratorium has now been lifted and that the flood gates have opened with approvals agreed with a supposedly 12-month limit. It is absolutely ridiculous that this should be allowed to happen with the scrutiny panel having only just (eventually) been put in place and literally just held their first meeting. According to further reports in the paper Scrutiny are now setting up public hearings where we, the public of Jersey, can go and voice our obvious many concerns, with these meetings being scheduled for the end of this month. In my mind this all seems very well timed in favour of the telecommunication companies as not due to any fault of the scrutiny panel, who have done the best they can in the time they have had and with this all failing over the Christmas holidays.

So basically the Jersey Mobile Mast Concern Group hit the nail on the head when they said that they doubted their petition would make any difference, as this is unlikely to have even been looked at as it was only just handed over recently. I think it is fair to say that there is very little regard for people's concerns as by the time the scrutiny panel have had the time to research this and look at some independent evidence, the damage will already be done and I would assume most of the masts put up!

It seems to me that Jersey could have taken the opportunity for once to investigate things fully and allow Scrutiny to do their job prior to allowing the many pending applications to be approved. Instead no doubt we will look back as we always do and think maybe we should have looked into things first. Jersey never seems to learn by its mistakes, but no doubt some other small island will benefit from watching our mistakes.

Competition is usually healthy but not necessarily in this case.

15 The Vineries, Route de Maufant, St Saviour.

Helpful
# Posted: 15 Jan 2007 12:24

I've been wondering if there's any way the local campaing group the JMMCG could apply for planning permission for some masts (as a publicity stunt) right next to the ministers' homes... that would prove a point wouldn't it? I'm not sure how much it costs to make an "in principle" application, but wouldn't it be funny it they approved them to call our bluff (knowing no masts would actually appear) but then there was a way of trading the permissions - selling them to the new operators C&W and Airtel.

The ministers are obviously taking advice from Jersey's Health dept., and believe the masts are safe for everyone - one of them even refered to "nonsense from the internet". The current sham of public consultation is so obviously going to be a PR excercise of appearing to listen but do nothing. I really can't imagine Jersey opting for tighter safety standards than the current international ICNRP ones, we *follow* the world in regulation, we don't *lead*.

Another publicity suggestion for the JMMCG : I could easily come up with a list of sites very close to schools. There have been calls for this info to be made public, but it hasn't been. I could pass on some details that, if published, could whip up more public support... just say the word here, JMMCG!

Helpful
# Posted: 16 Jan 2007 14:16

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/europe/jersey/6266651.stm

"People with views about mobile phone masts in Jersey are being encouraged to share them at several public meetings.
The review into masts, by a scrutiny sub-panel, was established after a States debate at the end of last year.

The first meeting is in the Royal Square on Tuesday, with people being encouraged to fill in a questionnaire.

There will also be a meeting at Hautlieu School on Thursday at 1900 GMT, and on Friday at St Brelade's Parish Hall.

The panel wants to find out how many people are worried about the effect of mobile phone masts on the environment and the possible effects on health.

The scrutiny panel will make its findings public in the spring."

Helpful
# Posted: 16 Jan 2007 15:10

Srutiny Panel timetable
http://www.statesassembly.gov.je/scrutiny/documents/footnote/66-12776. htm

And
http://www.statesassembly.gov.je/scrutiny/documents/press/445-12420-15 12007.htm contains:

PRESS RELEASE
In the Royal Square at 8.30am on Tuesday 16th January 2007
SCRUTINY SUB-PANEL TELEPHONE MAST REVIEW

Public Engagement on the 16th January

Public Meetings on the 18th and 19th January

Face to Face Questionnaire approach to engage with the Public

Scrutiny to ask and find out what the public knows and feels about telephone masts

The Sub-Panel members will be in the Royal Square encouraging the public to take a few minutes to complete a questionnaire; this approach will be taken over the next two weeks at different times and in different locations

The Sub-Panel members:
- Deputy Alan Breckon
- Senator Ben Shenton
- Connétable Mike Jackson
- Deputy Colin Egré

Full details relating to the Review will be released following the Sub-Panel’s first meeting and will be available online at www.scrutiny.gov.je

Public Meetings will be held at Hautlieu School on Thursday evening 18th January 2007 commencing at 19.00h to 21.30h

Thursday Public Meeting will be conducted as follows:-
19.00 Sub-Panel Chairman or Member to open and welcome
19.10 Brief overview of the development of the mobile industry by a Sub-Panel member
19.20 Brief presentation outlining application and planning permission process and the guidelines applied by a Planning Officer
19.35 Questions will be taken from the public by Sub-Panel members

and on Friday evening 19th January 2007 at St Brelade’s Parish Hall - 19.00h to 21.30h

Friday Public Meeting will be conducted as follows:-
19.00 Sub-Panel Chairman or Member to open and welcome
19.10 Brief overview of the development of the mobile industry by a Sub-Panel member
19.20 Brief presentation outlining application and planning permission process and the guidelines applied by a Planning Officer
19.35 Brief presentation from the Health Protection Assistant Director on health related issues

19.50 Questions will be taken from the public by Sub-Panel members - Ends

Helpful
# Posted: 16 Jan 2007 16:46

Another new planning application, JT :

Application Reference S/2007/0054
Parish St. Clement
Address PSD Pumping Station, La Rue de Maupertuis, St. Clement
Application Date 12/01/2007 00:00:00
Application Type Satellite Dishes/Comms Antenna
Status Pending Decision
Constraints BUILT-UP AREA
Applicant Jersey Telecom, P O Box 53, 1st Floor, St Helier JE4 8PB
Agent Jersey Telecom, P O Box 53, 1st Floor, St Helier JE4 8PB
Officer Responsible KJ
Description Installation of 1 No. antenna and 1 No. equipment cabinet.

This is the lane with a couple of right angle corners, between Le Squez / Les Marais and the crossroads in the lane (Rue de Samares) from Green Island to the Inner Road.

info
# Posted: 17 Jan 2007 12:59

There's a good PDF file here
http://www.nomasts.org.uk/index.php?option=com_docman&task=doc_downloa d&gid=17&Itemid=89
which may be worth emailing to the members of the scrutiny panel.

Helpful
# Posted: 17 Jan 2007 15:18

whoo-hoo, we get to meet the one and only Barry Trower! Should be interesting, well done the JMMCG for this!
I take it the meeting is actually the *evening* one at 7pm?

http://www5.channelonline.tv/news/templates/cinews2.aspx?articleid=767 8&zoneid=1

Masts doubter to give evidence

A leading doubter of the safety of mobile telephone masts is heading for Jersey.

Barry Trower, a scientist who has been involved in microwave research since the 1960s, will be giving evidence at a public hearing on Friday afternoon.

Mr Trower is the adviser assisting the Jersey Mast Concern Group. He claims that research by scientists working for the communications industry in America showed a predicted increase in cancers of between 30,000 and 50,000 a year worldwide.

Mr Trower claims there is evidence of cancer clusters amongst people living near masts. He maintains there are health issues involved with masts and that there are solutions - like reducing their power.

The hearing on Friday is the first of several planned for this month by a scrutiny panel set up to investigate perceived health risks associated with mobile telephone masts.

CMG
# Posted: 19 Jan 2007 17:33

Rosie
Rosie
Rosie
Helpful
Helpful
[b][/b] Please can as many of you interested in this get to tonights public meeting and for helpful re planning permission of sights near Ministers house,
can you contact JMMCG@hotmail.co.uk for a chat!!

CMG
# Posted: 19 Jan 2007 17:35

Yes the meeting is at 7pm at St Brelades parish hall which is at St Aubin, also can you ask all your friends to email any concerns to scrutiny@gov.je as the more public pressure the better.

Many thanks

Helpful
# Posted: 19 Jan 2007 19:43

Hi CMG
I've been meaning to set up an anon email account to get in touch, but I haven't got around to it yet. I may make myself known to you tonight if you're there... I may have been there last night even ;o) ...shhhh.. say no more.. I'm paranoid to be associated with all this (for several reasons but mainly because they think that we're nutters if we don't believe in the "ick-nerp" ICNRP safety levels, sad but true, you should have seen some of the hidden smirking at the meeting)
.. but I may cave in and make a formal submission to scrutiny... but for now I'd rather be a little more 'undercover' as it were!

When it comes to speaking out, I let others say their piece first and then I probably don't need to say anything - no point repeating what others have said already. Any submission I may make would purely be for the sake of numbers, and perhaps I'd briefly summarise my main objections and the most logical points that they really shouldn't ignore (though they almost certainly will).

Let's hope there's more than 18 there tonight, and the mics work!

Cheers

Helpful
# Posted: 20 Jan 2007 12:40

I couldn't make it, sorry. I hope it went well.. anything to report?

Helpful
# Posted: 21 Jan 2007 01:00

http://www5.channelonline.tv/news/templates/jerseynews2.aspx?articleid =7729&zoneid=1

Mast panel hear from scientist

The scrutiny sub panel in Jersey looking at the safety of mobile phone masts has been hearing evidence from a UK scientist today.

Barry Trower is the adviser assisting the Jersey Mast Concern Group and has been involved with microwave research since the 1960s. He claims research carried out in America showed an increased risk of tumours from mobile phone radiation.

One of the changes he's suggesting is forcing companies to limit the power from masts to minimise any adverse health effects. Mr Trower told Channel Television: "My argument is that the only problem we have is one of greed, extra profits for everybody."

He continued: "If we came down to the Saltzberg level where mobile phones - they wouldn't work inside your house if children wanted to lay on their beds texting - they would have to pick up the handset and actually physically talk to people on an ordinary telephone. But the mobiles would work outdoors which is where you want them."

"I think for an island this small you could probably get away with no more than half a dozen masts and maybe a few repeaters down in the valleys. And you could just have one operator sharing with all of the others. You don't need four different transmittors on one mast - it could be done like the gas and the electricity supply where you pay for a particular use to a particular company but you don't need that many masts on this island, it's just ridiculous," he added.

agnes
# Posted: 21 Jan 2007 03:39

Hi guys.
I am sorry, I have also been "off the air" yesterday and today.
Powercut because of stormy weather, "Global warming"
"Britains government (Blairs) Hobby Horse of the day (Legacy in want of?)

But, in my case, Grandkids birthdays, to precious to miss, one 18 one 14, and they are the Little Ones.
Gosh, do I "FEEL OLD" right now.
It is OK to have Middleage Children, it is when your grandchildren climb towards middleage you start to worry, and get forced to feel your age, (no, honestly I refuse to feel old. But then I was a very young mother, and a very young gran, and no way have I got the time, will or energy to feel old-age.

But to get serious, stuff is really happening in Jersey.

All my credit to you folks, keep up the Very Good Work.

Here is the new stuff I have on this:
http://mast-victims.org/index.php?content=news&action=view&type=newsit em&id=1330
http://mast-victims.org/index.php?content=news&action=view&type=newsit em&id=1329
http://mast-victims.org/index.php?content=news&action=view&type=newsit em&id=1328

Best regards.
Agnes

agnes
# Posted: 21 Jan 2007 03:42

Dear Helpful and Barry Thrower.
Well said and so true.
You have my total respect.
Best regards.
Agnes

OpenSecret
# Posted: 21 Jan 2007 17:40

So TETRA masts can't be public knowledge? Because of terrorist/criminal threats? Rubbish - locations are published in England and it's not a problem. All the sites are secure (except Gorey) anyway - fenced off, security cams etc).
Gorey (on hill overlooking castle and harbour)
La Moye Prison (all the more reason not get locked up there!)
Fort Regent
Five Oaks
Les Platons (radar)
La Chasse (St. Ouen)
Bit of an 'open secret' anyway!

agnes
# Posted: 22 Jan 2007 05:47

Dear OpenSecret.
Locations of TETRA are Not published in England! or Scotland for that matter.

What you are saying is not quite true, we have the appolling parody "Site-finder" for mobile masts, but we dont even have ANY such thing for TETRA. In the UK Tetra locations are truly secret! No map, no announcements, no nothing. Terrorist threats. pull another joke.

All we know, is, that we can be sure it is on every firestation, police station, waterworks, train-station etc.
Other than that we have no sure knowledge.

We only know by the people who live near to Tetra, and by their sicknesses.

We have all hammered and shouted for need of knowledge on Tetra locations, but to no awail, government just hides behind an excuse.

So, if Jersey do not want to unvail location, it is not different, it is in the same manner as the UK.
It is a cheap way of holding a nation to ransome and in suspence and terrified, and Blair/Brown like very much to do that a lot here. Nowadays, every week a terror plot in its own rights.

I think they are just trying to scare us.
And I am convinced that is all there is to it.
The desperate itch for a LEGACY, Yeah, and WHAT a legacy, all based on Terror and War.
Trying to control a nation with scare tactics.

They should be ashamed, and it should not be allowed anyway.

But what it does is, it tells us how Little Regard they have for their voters, they calculate All of us as Non-Thinking Morons, Big Brother like types.

Sorry, Unlike Them I do NOT watch Big Brother, nor the Royles, or any soap at all, so I never comprehended what all the fuss was about.

But the Blairs have managed to change Britain from Great Britain into Chav-Britain in less than 10 year, THAT IS BLAIRS TRUE LEGACY!!
Best regards.
Agnes

Helpful
# Posted: 22 Jan 2007 14:14

Thanks OS, very interesting. The guests at La Moye are being guinea pigs then, aren't they? Unbelievable! Locked up by a TETRA mast, that's what I call punishment!

Hi Agnes. The sitefinder site does at least appear to list TETRA sites, so, even if it's incomplete or doesn't list certains sites for some reason, in *principle* it appears that TETRA locations aren't a national security secret... ?

The open source programming community (Linux, etc) always pour scorn on the whole idea of "security through obscurity/secrecy", and rightly so. Let's face it, anyone criminally planning to disrupt the TETRA network would be able to find the sites with NO TROUBLE AT ALL, if they really wanted to. Anything broadcasting 24/7 is a piece of cake to track down! Random acts of less planned "for a laugh" vandalism will be deterred by the physical security measures like fences anyway.

In any case, it would probably be easier to radio jam the sites than attack the masts, if you really wanted to disrupt the services in some Italian Job-esque kind of way. They'd probably just use their own cellphones anyway, so I can't see the point! What a non-issue. Has it ever happened? No... any self-respecting crim would want a fool-proof plan without depending upon the dubious advantages of such a thing!

I think the public's right to know what signals are zapping through them is a bit more important than some *very* feeble and flimsy excuse to hush it up.

agnes
# Posted: 24 Jan 2007 03:16

New article in This is Jersey:

Mast emissions too low to pose a health threat, say operators
By Orlando Crowcroft
JERSEY's two largest mobile phone operators claim that emissions from masts are too low to pose a threat to health.
Appearing before a scrutiny sub-panel yesterday, representatives from Cable & Wireless and Jersey Telecom both argued that any attempt to lower emissions or introduce 'exclusion zones' could make it difficult to run a mobile phone network in the Island.

Both JT and C&W stressed that they abide fully by the ICNIRP guidelines - an international standard of acceptable radiation - arguing that Jersey's level of emissions is far lower than in many other countries worldwide.

Published 23/01/07
http://www.thisisjersey.com/news/news6.html

I must admit this got my blood boiling so I wrote a comment to the on-line paper.
My Comment to the article:
Mast emissions too low to pose a health threat, say operators:

Haven´t these guys got something wrong here?
"The ICNIRP GUIDELINES are NOT guidelines for acceptable NON-THERMAL RADIATION"!!

They are ONLY guidelines for THERMAL RADIATION!!

Not Non-Thermal, which is an entirely different cup of tea, which of course the networks know all about.

That means: The ICNIRP "Guidelines" are not applicable for Non-Thermal Mobile Telephone Microwave Radiation!!

http://mast-victims.org/index.php?content=news&action=view&type=newsit em&id=1340

The Top man for the ICNIRP "guidelines" Michael Repacholi is in the employ of the Mobile Telecommunications Industry, so hardly un-biased.

Here you can see what we at MV think of Mr. Repacholi:
http://www.mast-victims.org/index.php?content=satire
at the bottom: Cellco CEO P.HATCAT.

Best regards.
Agnes Ingvarsdottir.
www.mast-victims.org

agnes
# Posted: 24 Jan 2007 03:29

To Helpful, your input of 170107

I quote you:
Mr Trower is the adviser assisting the Jersey Mast Concern Group. He claims that research by scientists working for the communications industry in America showed a predicted increase in cancers of between 30,000 and 50,000 a year worldwide.
Quote finished:

Thrower is right, this research was by Dr. George Carlo, who worked on a study for the industry for many years, but when he presented the negative (for the industry) results, the study was flushed down the loo and the research stopped.

If you want to write to him here are his contact details:
Dr. George L. Carlo
Science and Public Policy Institute
1101 Pennsylvania Ave. NW -- 7th Floor
Washington, D.C. 20004
www.sppionline.org
202-756-7744
E-mail: glac44@aol.com

He runs a website called: http://www.safewireless.org/

Helpful
# Posted: 24 Jan 2007 13:04

Thanks Agnes, interesting info.

Helpful
# Posted: 24 Jan 2007 15:18

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/europe/jersey/6293911.stm

Experts' mast views 'conflicting'

The States should not be considering allowing more mobile phone masts in Jersey, according to a politician. Constable Dan Murphy said there were already too many and evidence from experts had been conflicting.

A World Health Organisation (WHO) scientist told a States scrutiny panel that symptoms associated with mast radiation were often psychological.

Last week, expert Barry Trower said living within 500yds (457m) of a mast was a health risk. Mr Trower has advised government agencies on radio and microwave issues.

Radiation fears

But Mr Repacholi, who has researched the effect of mobile phone masts for the WHO, told the panel more masts in Jersey would mean lower emissions of radiation. He said it was often a case of people getting stressed through misinformation and the fear of radiation was worse than the radiation itself.

The review into mobile phone masts was established after a States debate at the end of last year and people have been encouraged to share their views and health fears at public meetings across the island. The scrutiny panel will make its findings public in the spring.

---

http://www.bbc.co.uk/jersey/content/articles/2007/01/24/mobile_phone_m asts_feature.shtml

Are more masts better?
By Ryan Morrison

A scientist from the World Health Organisation has said that more phone masts could actually be better.

Michael Reacholi of the World Health Organisation told a scrutiny panel hearing that having more masts would mean lower emissions of radiation.
"The population exposure is actually lower with a higher number of masts" - Michael Reacholi. The scientist, brought over by Jersey mobile network Airtel, told the panel that “The population exposure is actually lower with a higher number of masts because you have a more uniform distribution of energy, the so called electro smog.”

He explained that this was because having more masts would create a uniform network and reduce the overall power needed to be emitted by each mast. He said “If it is uniform it will be down to the lowest level to provide a quality network or quality networks.”

He explained in more detail that “The population exposure is really going to be determined on the number of masts. This goes against public opinion of course that larger numbers of masts are going to be more objectionable than lesser numbers.

“But the more is going to be the lower exposure. If you’re really worried about health you would allow higher numbers of masts.” He went on to tell the panel that three operators wouldn’t make much difference to the exposure of the population.

Health issues

However a politician who's campaigning against more mobile phone masts in Jersey says he won't change his mind despite Michael Reacholi’s evidence. Grouville Constable Dan Murphy says there are already too many masts here and he's still worried because there's too much conflicting information. “What I’d like to hear, I’d like to hear that professor saying to us that oh yes I will guarantee, the companies will guarantee that anybody who falls ill from these masts will be compensated.”

On the subject of people feeling ill around a mast Michael Reacholi gave claims symptoms associated with the radiation are often psychological.
“There is some element of truth to the fact that people will show symptoms when they’re close to the mast because they are worried about the mast, it’s not the direct exposure to the radio frequency fields. It’s the fear of radiation that will cause these symptoms.”

Dan Murphy told BBC Radio Jersey’s Joe Pignatiello that he didn’t think there was enough information to make a decision either way on whether more phone masts should be allowed into the island yet.

He also went on to say that for every expert giving evidence in favour of more mobile phone masts they could find someone who would give evidence against them. In response to a question about existing masts he also went on to tell Joe that the current masts should also be looked at.

Constable Murphy mentioned comments from a previous expert, Professor Trower who suggested the island could manage with just six masts.

As with most articles on bbc.co.uk/jersey we want to know what you think on the subject. Should the island follow the advice of Michael Reacholi and allow more masts to be built each emitting a lower frequency or should the number be cut back?

What about turning off the mobile network completely and relying on land lines and payphone? Maybe a better alternative would be a strong island wide WiFi network and give everyone a Skype phone instead?

Do you think mobile phone masts are dangerous? Are you worried about the radiation or do you think it’s all hot air? Would you be prepared to give up your mobile if it was proved masts are dangerous or would you be happy to live with the radiation if it meant you could keep your phone?

Helpful
# Posted: 24 Jan 2007 15:23

http://www.freejersey.org/?q=node/92

"More masts just mean that more unfortunate souls have to live right next to a mast! Even low power sites are powerful at close range, due to the way radio works (power levels drop off by the square of distance). Better to have fewer well sited masts that bathe larger areas in medium power levels, and aren't close enough to houses/schools to put anyone at risk of high levels.

Yes, handsets are stronger, but use is OPTIONAL (we can't do anything about the mast over the road!) and use is short-term, whereas masts are on 24/7 building up cumulative effects. Plus, the pulse rates of masts and handsets are different due to the way the TDMA timeslots work.

Health worries aren't just the long-term cancers - electo-sensitivity can be a problem in a very short timescale and can lead to huge problems for the unfortunate individual. Look up EHS, Sweden, and the percentage of people officially accepted as sufferers there.

What's currently regarded as safe in the UK is way out of step with the much lower level standards being adopted in other countries taking more of a precautionary approach. Funny how if you see the official states of jersey webpage on the issue they ADMIT there is genuine cause for concern and a precautionary approach should be taken - yet the current proliferation of masts goes against this!

It's the issue to watch, it's not going to be solved any time soon.

No-one wants to live next to a mast, even if it's disguised and invisible - just in case. That says it all, doesn't it?"

agnes
# Posted: 25 Jan 2007 05:06

Hey Helpful.

Tellme about it, We had to abandone our home/place of work because of the efects from the Microwave radiation from Next door.
This is the newest info: I am sorry to overlap you.
http://mast-victims.org/index.php?content=news&action=view&type=newsit em&id=1341

But HERE is a Very interesting Item from Next-up:

Please go down the page to the EU questionaire, and please All, Read and fill in.
And please ALL!
Lets give them the truth about "Living Next Door to REAL Microwave Radiation"

But FEB.se is not the only one who tries to help EHS people.
There are the British: http://electrosensitivity.org.uk/
And the Danish: http://www.el-allergi.dk/

But you know, a disguised mast still spews out the microwave radiation
pollution, and the only difference is, that the Not-Knowing neighbours
will be breaking their heads about WHY they have suddenly developed All this Migrane, why their children do not thrive, why everyone is sick at weekends when in the house 24/7, but still have nothing to point at.
So, you arrive at Repacholis favorite argument: we are All psycho- somatic, even the dog/cat/Canary, whatever! (and how would they be scared? By Reading This Is Jersey (I guess ours read This Is Worcester to get the effects he suffered)
Yeah! More jokes anyoe?

Best regards.

Agnes

agnes
# Posted: 25 Jan 2007 05:08

Sorry, I missed the Next-up link
But here it is: http://www.next-up.org/Newsoftheworld/EuropeanEnquiryNeighboursRelayAn tennas.php
Best regards.
Agnes

CMG
# Posted: 26 Jan 2007 18:45

Hi Helpful, if you still want to contact us on jmmcg@hotmail.co.uk please do, we are having another meeting soon

Thanks

<< . 1 . 2 . 3 . 4 . 5 . 6 . 7 . 8 . 9 . >>
Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Image Link  URL Link 

» Username  » Password 
You can post anonymously by entering a nickname with no password (if that nickname has not been taken by another member) or by leaving both fields empty. If you have an account you can also log in from this page without posting a message.

These forums are running on forum script miniBB™ © 2001-2024