- Forums - Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -
www.mast-victims.org forum / General discussion / Help & advice urgently needed on screening home
Daliarw
# Posted: 31 May 2010 17:29

Hi All, I have a mobile phone mast 325 metres from my home, it is on top of a hill and I am at the bottom. I took readings with a meter from EMFuk and got readings of 34.04 uW to 0.5856MW, the highest being my bedroom and lounge. Am not sure if these are high, but have decided to spaint with Yshield anyway as was feeling the effects. I then got an MW1 electrosmog detector to work out what is giving strongest signals in house. My house is middle terraced and getting strong signals from neighbours on both sides. One side Dect phone signal very very strong and it fills my lounge and bedroom, ie. no quiet spots to talk of. Neighbour says her dect phone downstairs. My question/concern is should I just paint the party walls, or do I also need to paint lounge ceiling which is below bedroom, to reduce emissions there? I am concerned that if I paint the walls and lounge ceiling, it may send the waves upwards into my bedroom and make the signals stronger there. Also do I need to paint around the corners of the party walls ( I've heard the radiation can 'bend around') and how far along, or do I need to paint all of the adjacent walls?
Any help and advice would be much appreciated, as have been tearing my hair out as quickly get symptoms after a short while in these rooms.

thank you very much

Volker
# Posted: 10 Jun 2010 15:08

Hello,

the basic rule is to coat the wall(s) with the highest exposure. As you "only" have an electrosmog detector which doesn´t give readings but only makes electrosmog audible I´d advise you to either buy a "real" EMR meter or to consult a professional to take exact readings. Only then you can decide which wall(s) you have to paint. Then again you should take measurements to see how the situation has improved. If necessary go ahead. Make it step by step.

Sorry, I just read that you had already used a meter from EMfields:) Well, according to "Building Biology Evaluation Guidelines" a measured power density of 34µW/m²(your lowest reading) - 585µW/m² is a severe concern. The range starts from 10 and ends at 1000 µW/m².

I can recommend using a canopy made of Swiss Shield® fabric. With this you are at least proteced when sleeping at night. All further steps can be taken step by step.

Best,
Volker
YSHIELD EMR Protection

Anonymous
# Posted: 11 Jun 2010 18:21

Hi Volker, thanks very much for your reply. Have started painting on party walls where signals strongest, and am taking it from there. After each wall painted am testing, finding the next strongest signal area and then painting that. It seems to be working quite well, although I have had a lot of painting to do. tonight will see if I cn actually sleep in my room. Tried when it was half done and couldnt sleep as head was 'buzzing'.

I wondered if you would be king enough to point me in the direction of the Building Biology Evaluation guidelines, and are these guidelines that are used in the UK? I contacted Ofcom and they are going to measure signals from phone mast, but not from within my house. They havent said where they will measure from though, so I cant see what good that will do - I know they will come back and say readings within IRCRP? guidelines, which we all know is rubbish! Anyone know how I can get an 'official' reading from the front of my house?

thank you

Dalia

ericgeneric
# Posted: 12 Jun 2010 01:08

I would like to know an answer to this last question as well! Ofcom will fix their readings with the mobile operator(s) and use ICNIRP anyway, so a total waste of time as you rightly suspect!

EG.

Anonymous
# Posted: 13 Jun 2010 20:05

I agree with EG

What a pity that we do not have Building Biologists in the UK, like they do in Germany and Austria. It is not so easy to find someone to do measurements. That is why I ended up buying a Gigahertz-Solutions HF meter. EMFields do an Acoustimeter which I now have.

Some years ago, a local environmental officer did HF EMR readings over 6 minutes in rooms at my home. There was a 20x factor between the peak reading in bedroom of nearly 5000 microwatts per square metre and the average reading. The response - no problem - below the ICNIRP guidelines.

OFCOM will probably give you an average reading, rather than the peak reading which is more biologically relevant.

I would like to know the OFCOM answer too.

ericgeneric
# Posted: 30 Jun 2010 22:12 - Edited by: ericgeneric

I'm trying to find out (or work out) how OFCOM survey results can be translated into the Building Biology Evaluation-type figures being discussed above, and how the kind of levels documented in their .pdf reports compare to Dalia's readings.

Looking on google brings up a few of the surveys they've actually carried out, so can anyone (Volker? Henrik?) help, as I cannot make any sense of it.

Link below:

URL

EG.

AlasdairP
# Posted: 1 Jul 2010 13:08

Reply to ericgeneric:

Using the Ofcom survey of TETRA at Bury St Edmunds as an example:
http://www.ofcom.org.uk/sitefinder/audits/audit09/church.pdf

this shows on the graph page signal strengths of 176 and 182 microwatts per square metre. This is a six minute average - peak signal levels will usually be several times higher and can be 20 times higher for some mobile phone masts or WiFi Access Points. Their readings equate to about 0.25 V/m and people report adverse effects starting at 0.05 V/m (10 uW/m2).

Before the Radio Comms Agency (now Ofcom) started doing surveys (post Stewart Report) we (Powerwatch) had a two hour meeting at Baldock with senior people who were specifying the measurement protocol. We mostly disagreed with them. We wanted them to attempt find the likely highest exposure locations and measure there (they said "no"); we wanted peak and average - they said 6 minute average only. Their remit from Government was strictly set only to compare with the thermal (hence 6 minute average) levels set by ICNIRP. No more and no less. They won't go into a house - just measure in the street - and you can see the house at Bury St.Ed. whose back upstairs windows will have much higher levels than where the sensor is in the street.

Alasdair Philips (Powerwatch)

AlasdairP
# Posted: 1 Jul 2010 13:41

Reply to Daliarw:

The reading translate to about 0.07 to 0.5 volts per metre. Sensitive people react to levels above about 0.05 V/m. I don't know if the EMFuk meter you have measure peak or average signal level. I believe that it is important to know the peak values - though you can just assume they will be higher than the average values - which are already high in your case. The EMFields meters do provide peak readings.

DECT base units close the other side of a party-wall are a problem and the wall is effectively in the near-field making it difficult to screen. It is best to persuade your neighbours to do away with their DECT phone, but I know many people are resistant to this.

On internal walls (which don't need to "breathe" it is worth considering using aluminium cooking foil under lining paper which is painted or wallpaper. It is much cheaper than good screening paint and offers more protection. Do not use a wallpaper paste with antifungals etc it it without testing for adverse reaction with the foil. I have seem some bad corrosive reactions. This is not normally a problem. Although not a legal requirement in the UK, it should be earthed for keeping power-frequency electric fields down.

DECT signals can also transfer to wiring in adjoining houses and get in that way.

As Volker from Y-Shield (the best paint to use - EMFields sell it in the UK) wrote you need to take it a step at a time. You may need to do walls and floors - but you may not. Even measuring beforehand won't tell you the answers as most will be coming through the wall at present.

AlasdairP
# Posted: 1 Jul 2010 13:56

Extra reply to ericgeneric:

The TETRA survey also shows lower readings (about 50 uW/m2) at 22 Little Green. That is misleading because that close to a TETRA 400 MHz monoople mast the measurement site was below the main "beam". Highest level at ground level is likely to be about 100 metres away from the mast.

EIRP = 17 dBW = 50 watts per carrier (2 of them!) for this mast.
At mast height the power density will be approx:
(50)/(4*pi*dist*dist) W/m2 = 4/(dist*dist) W/m2 per carrier
== 40 milliwatts/m2 at 10 metres and 1600 uW/m2 at 50 metres,
falling to 400 uW/m2 at 100 metres PER CARRIER - i.e. double this for the total exposure.

ericgeneric
# Posted: 1 Jul 2010 17:21

Thank you for all the info and explanations, Alasdair...I must confess I have a complete mental blindspot when it comes to the technical side of all this, but I now understand more than I did before even if it's not much, and enough to get a bit of a clearer idea of what Ofcom are doing!

EG.

Daliarw
# Posted: 18 Sep 2010 19:14

Reply to AlasdairP, Thank you for your advice. I had ordered HS54 paint as Ihad been concerned about making things worse with foil, as some people had suggested. But have now used foil in some areads for shielding. Apologies for not replying before, but have been busy painting away, and had not expected further replies.

So far no notification from Ofcom thatthey have done the audit. Now Ihave a different problem and am at my wits end. I hadto carbon paint all the upstairs ceilings, front walls and party walls. As I was progressing with this I was feeling better and better. My ahces completely disappeared and mental confusion and fuzziness got better. I found I could tolerate staying in the house for quite some time, unless signals were particularly strong. Over the past week, I was not able to pick up mast signal outside my house, which I was realy pleased about as I thought Orange had redirected thier anntennae. I was actually able to sit in my garden again and enjoy. BUT over the last few days the signal has suddenly got much much stronger, and now there are bursts of signal at my front door, that now sound horrendously loud, so loud it is like the noise level you get from Dect phone in the house. I now find that despite all the shielding I had done which was working and making me feel better than I had for months, I am at square one. The signal is so strong it is now coming through 2 coats of YShield HS54, and I am finding spots all over the house that were quiet before I am now getting signal through. After 2 days of this I was feeling so agitated, anxious, tearful and ill that I spent last night out in my car for hours driving around as I could not bear to be in the house any more. It is making me disoriented, head all over the place jand I feel like I am losing my mind.!! Today, a Saturday, I had noticed before that the signals at the weekend seemed to be quieter than in the week and I could tolerate it better, despite being out last night, Ihave had to go togo to some woods to for a few hours to help recuperate. I have come back home and the signal is so strong I am besides myself. I am feeling very ill and dont feel I can cope anymore, am in tears and very very scared. The mental confusion/fogginess, and lack of co-ordination and clumsiness is horrendous, and the waves of anxiety are overwhelming. I dont know what to do, who to contact. I cant seem to stay in the house for very long anymore. wrose of all I am worried it will trigger a relapse of M.E and then Iwill be bedridden again. Please can somebody help, point me in the right direction. there must be something that can be done. I have written to Orange (mast owners) asking if they can redirect the antennae/ I m in a rural area on edge of village. there are only about 10houses on our road, with countryside and fields behind us. the village is in the opposite directin to where we are, so I dont understand why the antennae are directed at us and radiating us. Please can somebody advise. I feel so desperate!! Thank you

ericgeneric
# Posted: 18 Sep 2010 19:40

Oh gosh, I really feel for you. Not only because that is the kind of "life" which I am living, but because it is just SO very wrong that this should be allowed to happen.

All I can suggest is to continue being away from the house as much as you can physically/financially manage, because the phone companies/Ofcom/MPs etc do not seem to give a damn. Though that does not mean we will stop fighting for change, and an end to this inhumane treatment of people like us.

EG.

# Posted: 20 Sep 2010 13:10

Hey Guys,

ever heard of this? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Hum

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Image Link  URL Link 

» Username  » Password 
You can post anonymously by entering a nickname with no password (if that nickname has not been taken by another member) or by leaving both fields empty. If you have an account you can also log in from this page without posting a message.

These forums are running on simple bulletin board miniBB™ © 2001-2024