- Forums - Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -
www.mast-victims.org forum / General discussion / Mobiles are "The devil's most destructive invention since nuclear weapons and cigarettes&q
ericgeneric
# Posted: 27 Apr 2011 02:42

So says Chris Evans, former DJ and now BBC presenter and newspaper columnist.

In his latest Sunday supplement column, Evans makes this surprisingly strong-worded comment on "personal comminication devices"; ie. mobile phones and smartphones, and the damage it is having on humanity.

Now, what interests me is the choice of language. He could have said how annoying, irritating, unnecessary or pointless he felt they are. But instead he says "destructive". The most destructive, in fact, and likens them to things which cause death. This is a very unusual thing for someone of Evans' stature - a celebrity-cum-entertainment journalist - to do and say.

Is it just a turn of phrase, or is his attitude borne from something more real? What has made him see mobiles and the whole telecommunications onslaught in the same light as ES sufferers like us?

If I had twitter, I would definitely want to ask him more about this. We need people in the public eye to speak out more often in this way, to help raise awareness and change perceptions.

EG.

Henrik
Admin
# Posted: 27 Apr 2011 20:09

hi ericgeneric,

It's the Daily Mail right? I looked up his column on their website but couldn't find such an article :-/

ericgeneric
# Posted: 27 Apr 2011 20:59

Henrik, it's in the colour supplement section of their Sunday newspaper, a magazine called "Live & Direct". He has a regular column at the back. Not sure if they archive anything from that, but they might!

EG.

Will
# Posted: 29 Apr 2011 09:22

Refers to it here, 3rd section.
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/home/moslive/article-1379283/Chris-Evans-Beluga-caviar-pen etrate-taste-buds-altitude.html

ericgeneric
# Posted: 29 Apr 2011 12:28

Thanks for the link. No comments on the article, suprisingly. I'd have expected him to incur the wrath of the "go and buy a tin foil hat" brigade.

EG.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Image Link  URL Link 

» Username  » Password 
You can post anonymously by entering a nickname with no password (if that nickname has not been taken by another member) or by leaving both fields empty. If you have an account you can also log in from this page without posting a message.

These forums are running on easy forum software miniBB™ © 2001-2020