«Latest  ‹Forward   News item: 2869  Back›  Oldest» 

Militants destroy second Afghan mobile phone antenna
Afghanistan Created: 2 Mar 2008
KABUL (AFP) A mobile phone antenna was destroyed in southern Afghanistan, police said Sunday, the second such attack since militants threatened to bring down the masts which they claim are used to locate hideouts.

Armed rebels believed to be Taliban scaled the mast just outside the southern city of Kandahar overnight and took down equipment before burning it, local police officer Ghulam Hazrat said.

"I'm sure it was the work of the Taliban," he told AFP, adding that guards at the facility had escaped unhurt.

The mast belonged to Roshan, Afghanistan's leading mobile phone provider, he said.

Militants used petrol bombs on Friday to attack an antenna in Zhari district west of the city.

Taliban spokesman Zabihullah Mujahed warned on Monday that the insurgents would attack the technology because it was being used at night to pin-point rebel bases.

However the movement could not be reached Sunday to confirm if its men were involved in the latest attacks.

Five mobile companies operate in Afghanistan and the sector is one of the most successful of the post-Taliban government.

The Taliban were removed in late 2001 for not handing over their Al-Qaeda allies after the September 11 attacks on the United States.

They are waging an insurgency that was its deadliest last year with more than 6,000 people killed -- most of them rebel fighters.
Click here to view the source article.
Source: AFP / Google, 02 Mar 2008

«Latest  ‹Forward   News item: 2869  Back›  Oldest»